We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples Ritz or Marco Island Marriott advice, first timer

MA
Level Contributor
14 posts
50 reviews
Naples Ritz or Marco Island Marriott advice, first timer

We enjoy Florida during 'offeason' summer months and have always gone to Miami or FLL in June.

This year we want something different so we are headed Gulf side. I have great rates on hold with the Marco Island Marriott (under $700 including tax) and the Ritz Naples Golf (around $950 including tax) both for 7 nights. I can reserve the Ritz Naples Beach for around $1250. Parking is $12/day at Marriott, Free at Ritz Golf and $25 at Ritz Beach. Looking for the best balance of cost and environment. My wife has never stayed at a Ritz before but at the same time the Marriott is 1/2 of that cost. Not sure if Naples Golf is worth it for the money compared to MMI, although you do get full use of Ritz Beach.

We like to sit on the beach most of the day and then relax in the room for an hour or so, shower up and head out to a nice dinner. We'll have a car and explore and will take a water trip of some sort I'm sure (Everglades, Manatee, etc). I know Naples has shopping and that is no big deal really. We do like to eat at moderate to high end eateries when on vacation.

Just not sure about Marco Island. Any advice would be appreciated and thanks.

rochester, ny
Level Contributor
116 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Naples Ritz or Marco Island Marriott advice, first timer

You have a tough choice with some good deals everywhere. First, unless you are a golfer and don't need to be so close to the beach, I would rule out Ritz Golf. Now the difference between Ritz Beach and Marco Marriott is a tougher choice. Ritz Beach is a superb upscale property, probably the best is the area and far more luxurious than the Marriott. It's also less isolated than Marco and closer to good shopping (5th Ave, Coconut Point, etc.) and a wider range of resturants, etc. But, Marco is also beautiful and is a bit more tourist oriented. It's only a half hour drive back to Naples. There are plenty of good resturants and the Marriott is on a great beach. You couldn't go wrong there either. It is a smaller property than the Ritz. We winter in Naples and love both locations. Marco is also a bit closer to the everglades activities.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Naples Ritz or Marco Island Marriott advice, first timer

Both Ritz Carltons are beautiful but the beach resort is gorgeous! 1250 for 7 nights is an incrediblely low amount of money for that caliber hotel. 25.00 per day for parking is a bit steep though. If you don't mind shuttling back and forth from the golf resort (7 minute trip at best) then I guess staying there wouldn't be a bad idea but the shuttle runs on a schedule and if you want to get up off the beach and go to your room you can't.

I don't go to Marco very often and the Marco Marriot is very nice but I've always thought is was a more family oriented resort. You will find more restaurants in Naples as well.

If you stay in Naples you will find many fine restaurants on Fifth Avenue South and Third Street South.

My favorite on Fifth is Cafe Lurcat. They have a lounge area too for cocktails after dinner of just hanging and listening to music. Chops is a very good restaurant too.

On Third is Campiello's which is fine Italian. Tommy Bahamas is a fun tropical cusine restaurant on Third as well.

fifthavenuesouth.com/restaurants_cafes.php

http://www.thirdstreetsouth.com/cafe.asp

Hope this helps.

st louis
Level Contributor
39 posts
3. Re: Naples Ritz or Marco Island Marriott advice, first timer

I would be apt to agree with others. IF you were looking to not get out much the Marriott in Marco is nice but not much around it. We go to Naples every spring and have stayed at a variety of places. This year we are staying at the Ritz on the beach for part of our stay as it truly is an experience. We too thought about staying at the Ritz Golf and it seems very nice as well but we know we'll spend a majority of our time at the beach. If you don't mind shuttling over every day I'm sure the Ritz golf would be very nice. We have small children so it would be more of a hassle for us. Our other half of our vacation will be at The Naples Grande which is great for kids and I love the location! If you are foodies you will love Naples, enjoy!!!

4. Re: Naples Ritz or Marco Island Marriott advice, first timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 03:19
Get answers to your questions about Naples