We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather at Christmas

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
76 posts
26 reviews
Weather at Christmas

We will be flying into Miami on Dec 23rd. We usually take a cruise but this year are thinking of heading up the west coast, Naples, Sanibel. (2 adults ,1 teen) 9 days. Firstly, I wondered what the weather normally is like at Christmas ? We are really looking for some sun and a beach type holiday - with some shopping added in.. We've been in Sanibel/Captiva once at Christmas , which we loved but I seem to remember the weather was quite chilly and we couldn't really swim or relax in the sun. Maybe a once off?

My second question is , We hope to move around but would like to spend 24th, 25th & 26th in a resort or hotel that would have a festive feel. It can feel a bit strange to be in a generic chain type hotel for Christmas day. Any advice appreciated.

7 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,080 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Weather at Christmas

Eveery year is diferent. Sometimed warm, other time cool. Last year it was quite cold.

You wont knwo until we know what kind of winter is expected.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
866 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Weather at Christmas

Most of the nicer hotels will be decorated for Christmas. What kind of price range? The Ritz is beautifully decorated every year. Quite a festive atmosphere there.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
76 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Weather at Christmas

Thanks sjp1 , Ritz would probably be a bit formal for us.. Also $1000/night (2 adults and 1 child) a bit above our budget. Id like somewhere that was more mid range and more 'relaxed', if that makes sense..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
117 reviews
4. Re: Weather at Christmas

I would look at La Playa.....right on the beach. I’ve never been there at Christmas time, but I would imagine they decorate well.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
866 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Weather at Christmas

Check out The Inn on 5th, Naples Grande, The Naples Beach Hotel, and The Hilton. La Playa as mentioned above is also a great idea.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
298 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Weather at Christmas

I have been on the beach for the last 4 Christmas Days. I had a long sleeve shirt on in the morning this last year but was in my bathing suit the rest of the day. It can be variable, but so far so good for me. The 2 years before that it was in the high 80s. Naples really gets into the holiday spirit. Look into the Trianon, nice place, more reasonable, walkable to 5th, shopping and restaurants.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
76 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Weather at Christmas

Thanks to all for great suggestions

Reply to: Weather at Christmas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Naples