We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical storm affecting Florida/Miami?

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Tropical storm affecting Florida/Miami?

Hello everyone! I know this question may have been asked a lot, so if u guys can post links I’ll take that if u don’t want to repeat answers.

Me and my fiancé are schedule to visit south beach Miami for the first time for my birthday May 17-21st. I know there is a storm in the gulf that is making Florida residents pretty wet.

Do you guys think the rain may die off later during the week or should we expect a wash out?

I’ve booked a few outdoor activities far as jet ski and a boat party on Friday and I’m not sure if I should go ahead and cancel.

I’m from Illinois so I’m not sure how the storms are in Florida.

Thanks for any feedback

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
9 replies to this topic
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
15,122 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical storm affecting Florida/Miami?

Welcome to TA.

Sadly it’s a guessing game with no clear answer. Yesterday and today were washed out. How long it lasts, who knows?

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical storm affecting Florida/Miami?

objects - Melissa,

Here on Miami Beach the sun is out and has been on an off all day.

I would not write off an entire holiday based upon a weather forecast. Today was not a "wash out" on Miami Beach by any means...

(posted 4.23pm sun is shining)

The tropical system is headed northward according to this link from NOAA.gov

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php…

AG

Edited: 15 May 2018, 06:34
Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
15,122 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical storm affecting Florida/Miami?

AG

Understood, but I’m not sure how to explain the isolatiolated nature of some of our weather. Yes, I’ve seen it rain in my yard but NOT in the neighbors. Out west in Ft Lauderdale it’s been a wash out most of today and ALL of yesterday. YMMV

Ob

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,595 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical storm affecting Florida/Miami?

I've seen it raining in my back yard and not in the front yard...and I don't have a very big house.

It absolutely chucked down rain here today -- but lived up to the tropical part of it -- in between the rain showers, the sun came out. I think I heard one clap of thunder all day.

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
6,100 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical storm affecting Florida/Miami?

Partly cloudy most of today with a mixture of sun and winds out of the Southeast at 4MPH here in Brickell. Rained for about an hour after lunch today. Nice calm evening.

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical storm affecting Florida/Miami?

Thanks a lot for the insight guys it really is reassuring that our vacation may not be bad after all

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropical storm affecting Florida/Miami?

Melissa>

Today's forecast is much the same. The icon on the internet showed clouds and lightning bolts.

Baloney!

I've been outside all morning meeting a friend for coffee in the sunshine at a cafe. It is warm and it is humid (tropical atmosphere, frizzy hair), but it has not yet rained.

So my best advice is to remain flexible and optimistic. Bring cool, cotton clothing and shoes that will not suffer in a puddle.

Make a list of fun things you want to do that are both indoors and outdoors and when the weather suits a plan -- go for it.

As we move closer to summertime, we do get more heat, more sudden rain showers and more humidity.

AG

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropical storm affecting Florida/Miami?

Hey guys I head there tomorrow morning. Any sunshine today Floridians? How’s the weather 😊I’m excited for my vacation

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropical storm affecting Florida/Miami?

Melissa,

I'm in Miami Beach and the sun is out. Very humid ...

Plan indoor and outdoor activities and see how it goes.

We're always here to help.

AG

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Tropical storm affecting Florida/Miami?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted