We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Plains - Florida Keys by plane or by car

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
White Plains - Florida Keys by plane or by car

I'm planning a trip from White Plains to the Florida Keys. I still couldn't decide whether to fly or drive? What would you think? It's quite a drive on I95 so I would really appreciate your suggestions 1)where to take a break(?) and 2)which hotel to stay for the night(s). Could you also recommend a nice place at the Keys for a solo traveler? I'd like to stay for at least 5 days, love the beach and would love to swim with the dolphins.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best Seller
Speedboat Sightseeing Tour of Miami
165 Reviews
from USD 38.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
398 Reviews
from USD 49.99*
USD 75.00
Miami to Key West Day Trip with...
30 Reviews
from USD 39.00*
6 replies to this topic
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
15,777 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White Plains - Florida Keys by plane or by car

Almost a 24hr drive or maybe a bit over five hours flying ? I know what my choice would be, though you should know the Keys arent a beach destination.

Some idea of your budget and dates of travel might help with better suggestions.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
41,113 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White Plains - Florida Keys by plane or by car

I suggest you go no further south than Miami/ Fort Lauderdale if a beach is important- beaches in the Keys are small and not very nice . it is not a beach destination- I'd definitely fly, not drive.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White Plains - Florida Keys by plane or by car

Dear objets,

Dear lulutoo,

thank you for your reply. Many years ago I've spent some time in Florida (Miami) and always wanted to drive down through the beautiful Florida Keys from Miami all the way to Key West. I never did. Ever since I'm longing to do that. It's on my bucket list. I'd like to go in October/November or January/February, stay at a nice place and enjoy the ambiance. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
841 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White Plains - Florida Keys by plane or by car

Why not fly into Miami or Ft. Lauderdale and then rent a car from there. You could also fly into Ft. Myers or West Palm Beach too.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,479 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White Plains - Florida Keys by plane or by car

That would be my suggestion, fly into either of the above mentioned cities. Stay in Key West a couple of nights then Marathon or Islamorada for a night of 2 and to do your dolphin swim. Last night in the city you flew into. With driving you would want a least one overnight each way and that would be 12 hours of driving, an overnight and 12 more hours. or do 2 nights each way would be better. I would fly so you can make the most of your vacation time.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White Plains - Florida Keys by plane or by car

Dear Flymia,

Dear bornwithwheels,

thank you for your suggestions. I guess you're right, I'll fly from Budapest to Miami spend a night there, pick up my car, do the Keys, the dolphin swim and then fly to Westchester County Airport. (I'll spend some weeks in NY) I'd also love to spend a night at the Seminole Bingo place. I've never been there and want to win the jackpot. :)) Is there a good hotel at the Miami Airport where I could stay after my 14 hours flight and also, could you, by any chance recommend me a place at the Keys? Thank you.

Reply to: White Plains - Florida Keys by plane or by car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted