We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami nightlife & realistically, can i wear a kilt...

Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Miami nightlife & realistically, can i wear a kilt...

HI,

Me and a few friends are coming over to Miami from Scotland in September.

Looking at the clubs & bars in the area there are just to many to decide, does anyone have any suggestions on any good bars/clubs?

I will also be wanting to wear a kilt to represent my country (as we scots always do), can anyone advise if this will be suitable dresscode to get into bars clubs realistically?

Edited: 09 May 2018, 19:34
10 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,489 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miami nightlife & realistically, can i wear a kilt...

I cant answer as to dress code but will offer this, September is still very warm here, could be in the high 80's to 90 degree weather. I am not sure of the material of the kilt as I thought some were made of wool? If so that would be mighty hot to wear.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miami nightlife & realistically, can i wear a kilt...

born>

I have heard it is not the fabric of the kilt but the choice to wear nothing under it that affects temperature.

david -

We have big, posh dance clubs and little dark dive bars and every sort of drinks spots in between.

https://youtu.be/rKIGystgThc

Where is your hotel and what sort of nightlife are you after?

AG

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,606 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miami nightlife & realistically, can i wear a kilt...

While it is nice to have nature's AC under the kilt, Florida is a bit warm in the summer for a wool fabric.

I wore one out years ago in the summer, but not in Miami.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miami nightlife & realistically, can i wear a kilt...

surf>

Aren't kilts itchy?

https://goo.gl/images/b8NVhW

(Asking for a friend) LOL

AG

Edited: 09 May 2018, 21:34
Orlando
Level Contributor
11,606 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miami nightlife & realistically, can i wear a kilt...

They can be. LOL

A long sleeve shirt and thick socks in the summer in Florida are also a little warm.

And, the dry cleaning bill that I could only imagine...Yikes! Luckily, I didn't have to deal with that.

I wonder how my fish shirts, shorts, and flip flops would go over clubbing in Scotland:)

Hey, no underwear needed with shorts either.

Edited: 09 May 2018, 21:57
Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Miami nightlife & realistically, can i wear a kilt...

Hi all,

thanks for your post.

This wouldn't be a big traditional wool kilt but more of a lightwear casual one made from ACRYLIC WOOL (avoids the ichyness).

were staying just off on Biscayne Blvd beside Margaret park so will be looking at going across to Miami beech and downtown Miami.

Edinburgh, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Miami nightlife & realistically, can i wear a kilt...

"I wonder how my fish shirts, shorts, and flip flops would go over clubbing in Scotland:)"

- you would be fine! if your brave enough to embrace the Scottish weather in shorts and flip flops you've got more guts than me.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Miami nightlife & realistically, can i wear a kilt...

David,

Great location.

Google up a metromover map -- free monorail in Downtown Miami. There are free trolley lines in both Miami and Miami Beach (do a little GOOGLING for info).

You can hop aboard the FREE monorail at OMNI and circle downtown Miami to check out restaurants, bars, museums, and nightclubs along 11th Street you'll find SPACE and E11even (a 24 hour dance spot with a gent's club scene after midnight).

You can jump on a bus across the Venetian Causeway to access Purdy Avenue, a west side "locals" street on South Beach with a fun pub called Purdy Lounge (find Josh the bartender and ask about 2 for 1 drinks). There are lots of restaurants and cafes nearby to explore in this zone called Sunset Harbour.

Take an uber or Lyft to South Beach to visit the sea, check out the fun area between 1-23 Strets that is most popular with tourists.

Near your hotel, find Kush, The Daily, Sagrado, Fooq's, Mignonette, La Faubourg, and a pub called Mike's

Venture over to Wynwood to take a brewery tour. There are at least 4 new beer breweries with tasting rooms to visit in this area - (concrete, Veza sur, Wynwood, J Wakefield, Biscayne Bay) and fun spots to eat and drink night and day.

A free trolley takes you there as well.

Good luck with the kilt.

AG

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Miami nightlife & realistically, can i wear a kilt...

I have a number of friends who wear kilts in Florida as often as possible -- they tend to not wear them to clubs for a couple of reasons:

a-- they're hot . The acrylic doesn't breathe as well as the wool does, so while it won't be itchy, it'll be all the warmer. You might consider a cotton or linen blend that won't tend to hold the heat and moisture like acrylic. Check out Utilikilt and similar for twill options - many with a very nice-looking option of having your tartan as the inside of the pleats (GotKilt does a particularly nice version of this)

b -- there's always some idiot who insists on finding out what you've got on under your kilt. While this might be fun with some sweet young thing, in clubs, it's likely to be some enormous knothead who's threatened by YOUR comfort in wearing a kilt, and who will delight in calling out the fact that you're wearing a skirt and pulling it up to show everyone what you've got under.

All of this is said with the best of intentions - I have a particular fondness for kilts and the gents who wear them well. ;)

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Miami nightlife & realistically, can i wear a kilt...

If you are attending the top nightclubs such as LIV, STORY, MOKAI, MYNT etc.. Unfortunately the door guy will deny your entrance. They are not the nicest of people and they follow the standards of the dress code. Which is pants or jeans, dressy tennis shoes or dress shoes and collared or button up dress shirts. However if bars is the route you desire, then you will be just fine. Most bars don't have strict dress codes.

Reply to: Miami nightlife & realistically, can i wear a kilt...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted