We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 star resort?

naperville, IL
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5 star resort?

I will be joining my husband on a business trip to Lake Mary (address of business is 300 n. Primeria) and we want a 5 star resort closeby. Any suggestions. I can find a JW Marriott but it is an ours drive - not so good for my husband. Many thanks. Linda

DeLand, Florida
Level Contributor
445 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 star resort?

Not really any resorts in the Lake Mary area. Most of the hotels are geared for business travlers and the resorts are closer to Disney area. There is a MArriott and a Wyndam about 5 minutes away in Heathrow.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,393 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 star resort?

I believe you’re talking about the new Westin hotel in Heathrow rather than the Wyndham. I haven’t been in it, but my guess is the Westin is the nicest place in town, although the Marriott seems nice too. And yep, they’re really geared towards business travelers.

The closest “resort” of any quality you’re going to find is going to be in the Southern part of Orlando, probably down by International Drive. They do have some very nice ones down that way. I love the Gaylord Palms (much father South), but I’m not sure it entirely falls into the resort category.

I halfway recall a place calling itself a “resort” up here in Sanford (the town next to Lake Mary), but the Trip Advisor review were awful and it looked more like a recycled 60s motel.

naperville, IL
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 star resort?

Thankyou. If we decided to stay in downtown Orlando would my husband have a bad commute (driving) back and forth to lake Mary? Is there much to do in Lake Mary itself? We love good restaurants and, of cours, i enjoy shopping! Thanks. Linda

naperville, IL
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 star resort?

Many thanks for advice. What can you reccommend for recreation in Lake Mary? Is there a good 'downtown', restaurants etc?

Thanks. Linda

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,393 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 star resort?

His commute from downtown would be reasonably easy since it’s generally against traffic. It’ll probably take him 30 minutes to get up or back via Interstate 4.

Lake Mary doesn’t have a huge amount of shopping, other than the standard hometown stuff (Target, Home Depot, K-Mart). And, there’s the nearby Sanford Town Center Mall, but it’s also got the standard array of mall stores. They did build a new Lake Mary “downtown” somewhere a few blocks off the beaten path. I think I drove through it once but was not overly impressed. Most classic “downtown” areas were built before the 50s. Lake Mary remained mostly Orange groves and cow pastures until the late 70s early 80s, when strip malls were the order of the day.

For eating in Lake Mary, take a look at Colonial Town Park. It’s up by the Marriott and Westin and has several interesting restaurants. There are a couple of interesting boutique type shops there too. There are a few more restaurants scattered around, mostly on the West side of the interstate. Lake Mary is a very nice town overall, but the area on the West side of the interstate is particularly affluent area.

For recreation in Lake Mary, there are a number of golf courses, a nice YMCA, and a very nice paved walking/bicycle trail just West of the interstate. That’s about it. Did you have anything specific in mind?

The nicest hotel in downtown Orlando is probably the Grand Bohemian. There are a couple of other nice ones, but check the reviews because some aren’t so nice. All are likely to be somewhat business oriented. There are lots of interesting restaurants and nightclubs downtown, and it’s generally pretty safe as long as you don’t go more than a half a block West of the interstate.

For shopping, the best modern stuff is going to be South of town in the tourist area.

For other areas to look at, try Winter Park. They have a very nice downtown with restaurants and shopping. Sanford has a downtown too, with some halfway decent restaurants and antique shops, but it’s got a “struggling since the 60s” sort of feel to it.

DeLand, Florida
Level Contributor
445 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 star resort?

It can be a brutal commute from Orlando to Lake Mary during Rush hour. Lake Mary doesn't have much of a down town there are a few areas that having some shopping and restaurants. If you are staying in Lake Mary, you may want to check out Winter Park. On Park Avenue there are plenty of high end shops, and boutiques. You will also be 45 minutes from the beach.

naperville, IL
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 star resort?

Fantastic! Many thanks for ALL your advice. Much appreciated. Linda

naperville, IL
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 star resort?

Many thanks for the advice. I think w will spend Sat + Sunday downtown and move up to Lake Mary on Monday for the business prtion. you have helped a lot. Regards. Linda

9. Re: 5 star resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2010, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Lake Mary
Recent Conversations