We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida Keys vs. Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chino, California
2 posts
Save Topic
Florida Keys vs. Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island

My fiance and I are trying to plan our honeymoon for December. We were planning on Miami and the Florida Keys, but the reviews on the Keys seem to be mixed. We are looking for somewhere we can unwind and relax, with nice beaches and a few places nearby to explore. Budget is a consideration. What would you recommend - the Keys or the Gulf side? Or any other places in Florida or somewhere else in the US that is beautiful and relaxing?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,379 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida Keys vs. Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island

December is the high season in all of central and south Florida as those in the North come down for some warmth. The Keys don't have the vast expanse of beaches like the Gulf side of Florida does. So if that is a priority (for long walks in the sunset) look at the Gulf side barrier islands.

Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
273 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida Keys vs. Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island

I've been to both if you want to relax on the beach siesta key hands down. If you want to some night life and want to get on the water for some activities then key west might be your place.

Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florida Keys vs. Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island

love the keys for the party life. But if you want quiet beach time try the Port St Joe area. beautiful beaches beautiful water very calm not much nightlife. nice beach houses to rent usually very reasonably priced

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florida Keys vs. Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island

My favorite place in the world is Key West for the laid back Caribbean feel, the amazing cuisine, the ability to get out on the water and do whatever you want, either above it or below it. Keys are not known for their beaches and the beaches in Key West are very small and man made. If you are looking for miles of white sandy beaches, look no further than Siesta Key. Nicest each I have ever been to and look forward to going back again. Good luck!

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,186 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florida Keys vs. Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island

If you want a "beach holiday" as such, then the Keys may not be the right destination. The Gulf Coast beaches would probably suit you better.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,965 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florida Keys vs. Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island

Well I guess the problem is december. Sometimes we have really warm ones, and sometimes they are cool.

AMI and Siesta Key would be great choices for a warm December. Harrington house, and Hyatt Siesta Key BC would be good for honeymooners.

But the keys are beautiful, and relaxing. There aren't a lot in t he way of beaches, but if you rented a car you could get to the fantastic Bahia Honda. and It should be a few degrees warmer there. Maybe 3 nights islamorada, 4 nights Key West?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
112 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florida Keys vs. Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island

I just return from a trip in which I spent a night in siesta Key and 4 nights in Key West

So I will make a list for you of which I prefered:

Beach: Siesta Key

Water: Toss-up

Activities: Key West

Bars and Nightlife: Key West

For me personally, I would be bored after 2 days or so in siesta key, but it is nice....Key West is by far a more entertianing place....take a few trips that get you out on the water and spend some happy hours in the bight and you might just forget about the fact that that aren't really beaches there

Indiana
Level Contributor
14 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florida Keys vs. Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island

G to Anna Maria for the quiet beach vacation. Been there 5 times, and the keys 10 or so. In Anna you can have the beach life all day and walk to dinner at night. Streets are quiet and there is no real night life. Perfect for the honeymoon. If it is about drinking than of course go to Key West.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,965 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Florida Keys vs. Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island

Good food on AMI though, but not as posh as some of the KW places. Plenty post enough though, and more places to eat on the sand than most Florida towns.

northwest
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Florida Keys vs. Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island

It will be warmer for sure in KW. I love Anna Maria and Siesta Key but I think I would want the warmer weather in Kw. I also think KW is so romantic. We love renting bikes for the week and riding around looking at everything . The island is small so you can see everything and everything is so charming. The best restaurants, sunsets, cruises , historic places. It's hard to explain if you have never been there but you will understand once you go! It can be as quiet or active as you want it to be. Check out all the guest houses and the wonderful tropical pools and you will get an ideal. Stay in Old Town in a romantic guest house you will not regret it.