We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

compare Bahia Honda to Fort Zachary beach

Holtsville NY
Level Contributor
167 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
compare Bahia Honda to Fort Zachary beach

We went to Fort Zachary last year...really not impressed, so rocky, we could barely get INTO the water! Lots of seeweed also, although the water looked nice, just didnt think it was worth the walk there... This year we will have our car and it seems like all recommend making the ride to Bahia Honda, so how long of a ride is it from KW and...is it worth it?

Key Largo Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: compare Bahia Honda to Fort Zachary beach

I prefer Bahia Honda for swimming. Nice sand bottom. I get on the beach and head to the left. Nice and quiet. I feel the hustle bustle of the city at Fort Zac with all the boat traffic and wave runners, but I do love the Pine trees. If your worried about the sun being too much, take an umbrella.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: compare Bahia Honda to Fort Zachary beach

gliderrider, hard to carry an umbrella on the back of a motorcycle, but I agree with you about better swimming at BH.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: compare Bahia Honda to Fort Zachary beach

Isn't it mostly seagrass that's all over? Not seaweed?

I would also advise riding a bike to Ft. Zach, as that's much easier than that long walk if there's heat.

But IMO all is dependent on the weather and tides.

I found Ft. Zach great 2 days last May. I had decent (for a beach) visibility one afternoon and then had the beach pretty much to myself the next morning at around 9. The layout is much like a traditional beach, with a cafe, chair rentals, bathrooms, lockers and showers. All located close to each other.

There was a normal breeze blowing both days.

Here's my snorkel report post, with photos and video:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34345-i53-k448350…

Bahia Honda is much more like a typical state park, with things more spread out. It's long walk from the area I went snorkeling to the showers.

My first trip I found so-so visibility off the ocean side beach, until I rounded the turn and entered the channel, under the bridge. It's not a recommended area, so no beginners, and you really should have a diver down flag flying. But the visibility improved as the temperature dropped as soon as I rounded the bend. Saw a huge sting ray, lots of fish, conch and more.

This past May though the changing tides must have been strong as there was almost no visibility in the channel, the current was a strong as a lazy river, and even visibility off the bayside was poor. I suppose it was going into a low tide, as the water was flowing west, out of the bay into the Atlantic.

Maybe someone knows the best tide to dive BH on.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
246 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: compare Bahia Honda to Fort Zachary beach

Fort Zach - consessions, chair rentals, crowded when cruise ships are in, nice fort to explore and lots of picnic spots in shady areas, biking or walking distance. Great to people watch.

Bahia - snorkle trip available, concessions, nice bath house, gift shop, more of a laid back feel to it. Smaller beaches, many sandbars at low tides which permit walking for miles in shallow waters. Beached seagrass can be at high levels on the small patches of sand at various times, but we figure it's all good since the snorkling there reveals lots of creatures out there in the grasses.

Since you are motorbiking there - get an early start - stop at the Stuffed Pig for a great breakfast, then find No Name Pub or stop at Parrodise for a late lunch or early dinner on your way back to KW. We try to drive up to Bahia at least one during every trip when we can get a car rental for a day or so during the week.

Enjoy!

F&F

15. Re: compare Bahia Honda to Fort Zachary beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 06:42