We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disposable Cell Phone

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough
Level Contributor
288 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Disposable Cell Phone

We will be traveling from Ontario to Florida Keys in late March. I would appreciate input regarding "Disposable" cell phones. Should I buy one in Buffalo or wait until I get to Florida? My phone in Canada is Pay as you Go and doesn't work in the US. Can i purchase one that is preloaded, or do I buy phone cards and transfer balances to the phone?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,510 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disposable Cell Phone

Go to a walmart in Buffalo, and get a net10 pay as you go. Will cost $30 with $30 worth of call time. Can be used to call canada.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Disposable Cell Phone

Buy in NY or Key West... Depends on the length of your trip and your stay. If the trip (driving) will likely be longer than your stay in Key West, get it in NY but if Buffalo is a stop-over, wait til you get to the Keys. You'll know it'll work if purchased here.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disposable Cell Phone

The net10 is in the Walgreen's flyer of Key West this week. I was looking at the flyer when I read your post. $24.95 & includes 300 minutes.

…shoplocal.com/walgreens/default.aspx…

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,510 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disposable Cell Phone

Sounds like the best plan to me. I hadn't seen them under $30 before, and

I've bought a couple over the last two years.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,545 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disposable Cell Phone

Keep your eyes peeled there. That store is always running 2-4-1 sales which are displayed in the window.

Pjk.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disposable Cell Phone

I have used a Net10 in Key West and was very happy with it. We picked it up there if I remember correctly.

7. Re: Disposable Cell Phone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2010, 16:17