We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Article about fake reviews

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Article about fake reviews

Great piece about Trip Advisor here...

…yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20090715/ap_tr_ge/us_…

I really love how Frommer's says not to trust "amature" reviews.

Sorry but I'll take our "amature" reviews any day over anything that Frommer's puts out there.

TA Rocks !!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Article about fake reviews

I agree Flat - the paragraph before the one you quote says:

"But Arthur Frommer, founder of the Frommer's travel guides, said travelers should rely on the advice of experts, such as guidebook writers or journalists."

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT. And we're to believe that the review from "experts" are not bought off as well? Besides, how can ol' Arthur sell any books if we all use TA?

I've seen enough of what "experts journalists" write and do to know that they are fricking morons.

Give me TA any day.

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Article about fake reviews

Thanks for the article.... like i am going to believe one reviewer's opinion that he wrote 2 years ago over dozens of real peole's comments this last month on a hotel..."right"....

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Article about fake reviews

I agree with you, I enjoy writing reviews and including specific photos that prove to the reaader that I was really there. I admit that I also tend to discount reviews that come from one time reviewers who disappear or have no history on the forums.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,597 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Article about fake reviews

I have recieved good guidence from both guidebooks and sites like this. You should read all sources available and make the best decision you can. I still think the rankings on trip advisor are strange and the way they are determined are not advertised. Also, this site would seem much more credible if they would remove places that have been closed for years to demonstrate they really are paying attention. One final thought is that forums like this are usually dominated by a few people. The result is these few peoples opinions represent what is "good or bad" in a location. This forum is not has bad as some since many people post here, but some location forums have only one or two people responding and I doubt these one or two opinions really respresent the best of a given location.

When I travel, I take these opinions into account, but nothing beats exploring, talking to locals, and finding your own favorite place.

GardeniaPalm
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Article about fake reviews

I'll take the TA reviews as well. Pictures help my decision as do the number of reviews. I like to read all/most of them.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
394 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Article about fake reviews

This is Key West incarnate: Not giving a rat's backside for what the establishment has to say but relying more on the Common Man. That quirkiness is why I must return to Key West as frequently as possible.

Steve in Houston

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
531 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Article about fake reviews

I've always had good luck when using the TA forums; I've used the hotel/restaurant ranking as well but like to double check with the forum, too! Up to date info from real people is great; I refer friends to the TA forums all of the time!

I've not been impressed with Frommers, The Insider or the other big one-is it Zagat's or something else with a Z? I did use RickSteves guide for France and found it reliable.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Article about fake reviews

Amateur?? AMATUER?!? I've been eating since the day I was born. I think I have it right at this point. I know what I like and what I don't. I'll happily pass along either if asked.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Article about fake reviews

I use travel guides to get an overall picture of the area we want to visit. Then I come to TA to hone down my choices.

I do however take TA reviews with a grain of salt, IMHO they tend to run a bit negative. I think human nature makes people more likely to complain about small things but it takes an exceptional experience for them to post a positive. I put quite a bit of trust in the opinions of the local experts in the forums especially when they post enough that I can gauge their taste and how it aligns with mine.

Last spring we stayed at TA's top rated hotel in a different area of Florida. No complaints it was definitely a nice place but I thought it was funny that they had signs all over saying "Get 10% off your next stay if you post a positive review on Trip Advisor"

Scranton, PA
Level Contributor
239 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Article about fake reviews

That comment from Frommer is a transparent attempt to dis-credit TA and sell more books, which I think are less up-to-date than the reviews on TA.

I may be an "amature," but I'm also a trained chef and a fairly frequent traveler, so I think I can weigh in with an opinoin on a restaurant, hotel or B&B with at least at much credibility as they've got, since I'm not on anybody's payroll.

As always, I check profiles for the reveiws that I read, and they can be telling. (I agree with the post several months ago to please fill out your profile to give perspective.)

Bottom line: I think everyone should A) leave a nice, detailed profile and B) check out the profile of the reviewer and weigh their credibility from there.