We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location question

newyouk
Level Contributor
49 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Location question

Hello. I've never been to key Largo & I was wondering if there was a specific area where most of the shops,restaurants, bars, whatever, are congregated & is it close to a beach or is it more of a spread out deal. The reason I ask is because I like to park the car & stay someplace where you can walk to most things. Also if this is the case, is the area referenced by a specific name like "Key Largo village" or the "Downtown" area or whatever. Thank you in advance.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location question

Key Largo is spread out along Hwy. 1. and really not that big of a town. At some hotels you may be able to walk to a restaurant and/or a shop or two. There are small beaches on the ocean and bay sides, many man-made on hotel/resort property. John Pennekamp State Park also has a decent little beach. Key Largo from Hwy. 1 is not a nice looking resort town. Lots of businesses, some closed and/or run down looking. When we stay in KL at our favorite place, Bay Harbor Lodge for a night or two coming and going from/to the middle Keys or Key West, we spend most of our time on the water, either snorkeling or kayaking. If you don't snorkel, kayak, or fish, there's not much that much to do there. No good shopping, etc.

We usually drive to a restaurant/bar at night for happy hour, sunset and dinner, then back to our accommodations. We've never found much of a late night bar scene there; maybe we've missed something?

It sounds like Key West is more of what you're looking for. The Old Town area is full of great hotels, guest houses, historic B&B's, as well as a few waterfront resort hotels. There are great restaurants and bars, plus shopping, art galleries, museums, etc. too. The Key West Historic Seaport has several great restaurants and bars, and also has many charter boats available for snorkel trips, dolphin sighting trips, and/or sunset sails. The Keys beaches aren't the greatest, but there are some that are enjoyable; our favorite beach in KW is at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park. You really don't need a car in Old Town Key West you can walk and/or rent a bike to get around.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location question

I'd echo the comments about KW being more of a 'compact' town.

In Key Largo MM100 (places are identified by mile marker in the keys - miles from Key West) is pretty central - several hotels around the marina with shops and restaraunts in walking distance - though other places of interest and larger grocery stores are a couple of miles down the road which means getting in the car.

newyouk
Level Contributor
49 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location question

Thank you very much for your responses guys I did hear the same about Key West but I really wasnt familiar with Key Largo. One of the things that did attract our attention was their location & I'm sure it's great. But Key West sounds like it may be suited for us a little better. We'll e sure to stop off in Key Largo on the drive down for a great lunch & a swim/snorkle. We're not in a rush & the sights are part of the fun. Thanks again.

4. Re: Location question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2010, 16:21