We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in Feb. or March?

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling in Feb. or March?

Can anyone give me an idea of what the water temp is for this time of year. Could even hold off til late March if that will make much of a difference.

Thanks

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in Feb. or March?

Being that you are from Michigan, our coldest water temps are probably like your warmest!

February is probably 72º-74º. For us, that's cold. My bf was wearing a 6mil wetsuit to catch lobster the last days of regular season in March. After 30 minutes, he could no longer move his fingers.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,753 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling in Feb. or March?

You'll want a wetsuit in either month... March tends to be windier so Feb may be a better choice.

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling in Feb. or March?

Thanks for your replies, Lake Michigan is lucky if it gets 70 degrees in summer.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
216 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling in Feb. or March?

what you might also want to take in to consideration is the air temperature, as being from the northeast I will agree that a 70 degree water temp sounds nice and warm but for us that would usually only occur on a nice hot summer day. When the air temp is also in the 70's which is average for the keys at that time of yr. it will def. make the water seem much cooler.

5. Re: Snorkeling in Feb. or March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2010, 17:21