We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Key Largo

Saddle River, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Key Largo

My husband and I have both been to Key west and wanted to check out Key Largo area (plus we have a free place to stay). We would like to go fishing and have a few good meals while we are there. We will be there this weekend thursday-monday. Any suggestions on fishing and other activities would be great! Thanks:-) Dawn

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Key Largo

Congrats on that free place to stay! That will make the trip even sweeter!

I would check out Morada Bay (outside, upscale restuarant). Be sure to get there before sunset.

When you catch your fish, take it to Ballyhoos to have it cooked.

Spend one night on the back bar at Snappers - fish sandwiches and the like. Low key. Often have live music.

In terms of fishing - do you want a party boat? charter boat? back country? lots of options.

Check out the tarpon at Robbies (mm 77) but leave the fishing pole at home for this.

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Key Largo

Howard is closing Snappers for 2 months' slow-season vacation. I think yesterday was their last open day. The Turtle Club Bar part will be open, but their kitchen will be closed. Don't know the Turtle Club hours.

I would suggest trying Fish House's Encore restaurant (NOT next door Fish House). It's upscale and sitting outside on the brick patio is quite romantic and pleasant.

To just grab a quick lunch, I would suggest Mrs. Mac's on US1 at MM 98.7.

Fishing. Make sure to purchase a fishing license (they have them for a week). The DMV beside K-Mart sells them. K-Mart sells them, too, but I think 1 September, the rules changed & they can only sell Florida resident ones. The DMV sells all of them. DMV is open 8-4:30 week days.

I know Pennekamp rents small boats. It's a Dive at the Marriott also rents small boats, but they are pricey. You might stop at the KL Chamber of Commerce as you come onto KL (right side MM106) and get some brochures & discount coupons for charters, snorkeling, kayaking, etc.

Saddle River, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Key Largo

Wow thanks so much for the advice!! All sounds great:-) We got a few prices on fishing and I like fishing but not enough to spend 800-1200 (I will let my hubby and his dad have those trips). Maybe something more low key..party boats? How about Robbies there seem to be a lot of reviews. Back country...what are our options there? How do those prices compare to deep sea fishing?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,349 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Key Largo

If you have a quality charter captain, those prices are worth it! Do it!

Backcountry - can usually take 2-3 ppl. Flats fishing and such. Maybe up to Flamingo which I really want to do.

Party boat will be anchoring up somewhere and lots of strangers.

You can get your fishing license instantly online (and choose your start date) or by calling the 800 #. They will give you a number over the phone to use. You do NOT need a license if fishing on a charter - they have a blanket license.

Morada Bay has a great atmosphere (Islamorada) and Island Grill @ Snake Creek is good (also Islamorada) Have heard great things about Encore - but haven't been there myself, hope to one day soon.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Key Largo

Party boat fishing is less serious, but lots of fun. When in the Keys our family always goes out with the Marathon Lady reef fishing in Marathon; it's much more entertaining than the fishing we do on our boat on the coast of N.C.! (and sometimes we are much more successful!) I've never been on a party boat in KL, so I can't recommend a particular party boat there. We've always enjoyed our party boat trips, fun people to talk to and we've always caught lots of fish. If you're after some large serious fish, you'd be better off with a private small charter, if you just want to enjoy being out on the water, have some fun and fish, try a party boat. Don't know about others but Marathon Lady also cleans our catch for us; then we take it to a favorite restaurant where they cook it for us! (I LOVE that!)

I remember there being a party boat in the Holiday Inn marina in Key Largo; don't remember the name.

-Kayaking is great fun, we've rented from Florida Bay Outfitters before, they also offer some neat guided kayak eco-tours. http://www.kayakfloridakeys.com/ (some people fish on kayaks; I've never tried it, I'd end up falling out of the kayak!)

- Snorkeling is very good in the KL area; we enjoyed our snorkel trip with Key Diver(snorkelers only) http://www.keysdiver.com/

-Lorelei in nearby Islamorada has great sunset views; usually live music, and some good H.H. specials. http://www.loreleifloridakeys.com/

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Key Largo

There is usually a party boat out of Chesapeake Bay Resort in nearby Islamorada. The night fishing is terrific as the sky is black with the lighted skyline in the background. We've caught fish on day and night trips. Also enjoy the snorkeling at Pennekamp park. Old Tavernier restaurant is great.

Saddle River, New...
Level Contributor
54 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Key Largo

Thanks again everyone!! We got in last night and I cant wait to check things out:-) I will let you know what we do!

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Key Largo

Sailor's Choice is on the web. I think they depart 2 or 3 times a day & they supply rods, bait & license. Not sure their current price, but around $45pp. Lots of folks get a sandwich at Publix and take it, making for a fun day. They said out of the Holiday Inn KL.

9. Re: First time in Key Largo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 16:18