We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underwater cameras

Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
Underwater cameras

Just about every underwater pic posted on here has the blue back ground and you cant see all the colors of the reef , is there a certain disposable camera that does better than others?

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Underwater cameras

I never found a disposable camera that was worth using. I tried many different brands for years. Every time I would have my snorkel pictures developed, I was so disappointed. They're okay for taking pictures in a swimming pool, and once I had some come out good off the beach at Bahia Honda State Park (underwater pictures of rays and fish) and a few good pictures of parrotfish in a canal in front of a home we rented in Little Torch Key, but never any good at the coral reefs. I gave up about 5 years ago; I've recently seen decent priced waterproof digital cameras by Cannon, Nikon, and a few other companies, and am thinking of purchasing one to use on our boat, kayaks and when snorkeling in the Keys.

Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
2. Re: Underwater cameras

Thanks for the info, maybe I will spend some money on a decent underwater camera . I hate to pass up memories of a lifetime .

flowers52
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Underwater cameras

A few years ago we found a great underwater camera at walgreens so you may check there. This year the price went down on a sale. I had asked one of the boat captains which one to use on a snorkel trip and it was highly recommended.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,558 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Underwater cameras

Maxim Mag just rated the new ones in the recent mag. My friend has the Canon and it works fabulously!!! Worth the $. Use on land or in your drink or wherever!

Buy a waterproof and use it on land or in the drink in the holder of your car.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
38,754 posts
121 reviews
5. Re: Underwater cameras

The problem with the disposables is framing what you are shooting through the tiny view-finder while wearing a mask, esp the ones available to you on snrokeling trips.

These were taken on a trip to Sand Key with an Olympus which is rated to 10 feet and is OK for above water photos...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34345-i53-k298200…

Pjk

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
174 reviews
6. Re: Underwater cameras

One of the problems with underwater photography is that the water absorbs different colors of light differently - red is absorbed more than blue (due to the wavelength). Hence a lot of underwater photos appear blue. It gets worse with depth or if it's overcast.

The best way to overcome this is by using a local light source such as a flash. A good underwater strobe is better. It is the light source rather than the camera in a sense.

I got some nice results with a Speedo underwater 35 mm film flash camera bought from Swimmart in FL for about $18, in shallow water, mid day so the sun is right above for better lighting.

I've had far better with the two digital cameras, with underwater housings, that I have - but they are $500 or more. They have a decent flash, but would be even better with a strobe.

Another technique is to use a red filter - this helps compensate for the loss of the red light through the water (it biases red entering the lens). Some digital cameras, including my Fuji F100, have a menu option that compensates in a similar way.

So in answer to the original question, look for a film camera, even disposable, with a decent flash on it, take pics at mid day, stay shallow (but it's best to shoot up at the subject!) and maybe consider something a little more up market....

7. Re: Underwater cameras

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2010, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo
Recent Conversations