We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 4 visiting Key Largo in July 2008

London, England
1 post
Save Topic
Family of 4 visiting Key Largo in July 2008

Hi, we're travelling from England this July and staying in Key Largo for a week - we would like to swim with the dolphins and would appreciate some advice. Could you please tell me where the best beach is for us to relax but also do beach activities to keep our girls occupied? We're staying around Tavenier - I don't know where about this is on the Island!!

Many thanks

Marathon, Florida
Level Contributor
410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 4 visiting Key Largo in July 2008

Come on down to Marathon (about 40 minutes from Tavernier) and swim with the dolphins at the Dolphin Research Center. You can also go across the road to the Aqua Ranch and swim with the cobia. Very cool. Then go to the Key Colony Beach Marina, have lunch at Sparky's Landing and watch the charter captains clean their catches of the day. You will find Marathon and KCB to be much more laid-back and family-friendly than Tavernier and, certainly, Key Largo.

St Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 4 visiting Key Largo in July 2008

You said you are a family of 4 so I assume you have kids. From Key largo, drive to Robbie's - mile marker 77.5 and let the kids feed the tarpon. Robbie's is behind the Hungry Tarpon Restaurant on the bayside (good breakfast by the way). Google " Robbie's Florida Keys" and look at the website - kids LOVE it.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 4 visiting Key Largo in July 2008

Tavernier is on the end of Key Largo away from Miami (I think of this as being "south" but it may be "west"). The Keys are all stretched out along hihway US 1. Green mile markers tell you where you are. Key Largo starts about mm 106. Pennekamp, the state park with snorkel tours and kayaks, is MM 102. Key West is MM 0

Tavernier is the area is the 90's. (It's not an incorporated place so there aren't real boundaries).

In Tavernier, you'll find Snapper's restaurant (mm 94). We love the back, back bar there. It's called the Turtle Club. burgers, fish sandwiches, very low key. There is a shopping center at mm 91 (Tavernier Towne) with a grocery store, book store and movie theatre. There is also a little Italian/pizza place (Anthony's) and an Ice cream place. Pizza, movie and ice cream makes a nice evening!

We have enjoyed 2 dolphin swims at Dolphins Plus in Key Largo http://www.dolphinsplus.com/ MM 100

In fact, we have a third one planned next month for my husband and his mother.

Click on my name for an inside page with other Key Largo/Islamorada info.

Long Key
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 4 visiting Key Largo in July 2008

Dolphin Plus is at MM100 (O/S)***

Dolphin Cove is at MM102 (B/S)

Harry Harris Park is at MM92.5 (O/S) Beach*******

John Pennekamp is at MM102 (O/S) Beach

Founders Park is at MM86 ? (B/S) Beach/Activities

west palm beach
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 4 visiting Key Largo in July 2008

we loved Harris Park!!! we went everyday during the week- the kids swam, snorked and fished. It was the perfect place for a family.. Im not sure how crowded it gets on the weekends but they do charge $5.00 per person

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 4 visiting Key Largo in July 2008

This post is from June 2008.

The family has visited and left - a year ago.

7. Re: Family of 4 visiting Key Largo in July 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2010, 17:18