We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walkable vacation spot for family with young child?

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Topic
Walkable vacation spot for family with young child?

Hi, I am looking for a recommendation for a spot in the Keys that is good for a family with a three year old and is walkable to beach/restaurants/etc.

I originally was thinking of Key West but I'm open to other suggestions.

My wife and I like to see different sights, walk a lot, spend some time at a beach or pool, and enjoy the outdoors in the warm weather. We aren't much into clubs or nightlife.

I'd like to be able to stay someplace with sights and good kid-friendly restarants within walking distance. I'd prefer a cottage or efficiency to a resort.

I've read some opinions on this forum that Key West isn't good for kids, especially Duval St. after dark. If we wanted to go for a walk at night and maybe get a bite to eat, are there other areas we could go with our daughter without worry? Things like nude beaches aren't a concern for us but more "adult" behavior is.

Thank you for any suggestions, I'd like Key West to work for us but if there is a better place for us I'd love to hear about it.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walkable vacation spot for family with young child?

Walkable is Key West. There are other places where could walk to a restaurant or two but it's not really a "walkable place."

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walkable vacation spot for family with young child?

Another walkable spot is Key Colony Beach, just outside of Marathon. If you stay at either the Continental Inn or Ocean Beach Club you will be right on the beach with a nice sized pool and tiki huts for grilling. If you are staying for a week, look into renting a duplex on the canal with Cabana Club access. That will give you a lot more room to spread out in as well as a full kitchen. KCB has 4 restaurants, a marina and small golf course to walk to. Its not as large as Key West but we liked that when our kids were small. Its about mid way in the keys so you can easily do day trips to either end.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,416 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walkable vacation spot for family with young child?

KCB also has a nice playground, depending on where you stay some places will be a long walk. We like to rent bikes while there, its a great place to stay for families and you will be central to the rest of the keys for daytrips. If you rent a duplex and stay on 7th or 8th st you will be right across from the playground. If you stay on 3rd, 4th or 5th you will be close to the Cabana Club.

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walkable vacation spot for family with young child?

Thank you, I think Key Colony Beach will be a great spot for us.

5. Re: Walkable vacation spot for family with young child?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2013, 19:26