We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Okaloosa Island vs Perdido Key

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Okaloosa Island vs Perdido Key

Planning a girls trip for next spring and considering both the Okaloosa Island and Perdido Key areas. Having never been to either, I'm looking for opinions from those who have been on which area would better meet what we're looking for.

Here's what we're looking for:

-Low rise condo with 2-3 bedrooms

-Prefer a smaller complex, but with a pool

-Must be on beach (gulf)

-Would like a less busy area, as our goal is to relax on the beach the majority of the time

-We do plan on a few activities (maybe sunset cruise, snorkeling), as well 1-2 dinners and some shopping, but not opposed to having to drive to Destin or Orange Beach for those.

-Not interested in staying in either Orange Beach or Destin as those seem much busier than what we're looking for.

Thanks for any advice on which location would be better and any condo complex suugestions!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Okaloosa Island vs Perdido Key

None of the condos on Okaloosa island are over 7 stories. Some are only 2-3 stories.

Most, 90%, are Gulf front and the vast majority have pools or a shared pool at the complex next door.

Not sure what schools will be off for Spring Break while you are here but the island is much quieter than Destin, even with Spring Break going on.

The quietest part of the island will be at the west end near El Matador. There is nothing but miles of sandy beach past that.

I know nada about Perdido Key.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Okaloosa Island vs Perdido Key

The busiest area of the island during that time will be around Waterscape, Azure, and Gulf Dunes. It gets less busy as you go west. Look at Turtle Walk it is a only about 3-4 stories tall.

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
179 reviews
3. Re: Okaloosa Island vs Perdido Key

Water is nicer at Okaloosa Island (usually clearer). Perdido is more remote and less developed for activities, restaurants, shops but not far from either Pensacola or Gulf Shores/Orange Beach. We haven't stayed at Perdido Key for some time because we like the water better east of there but it is still a lovely beach. There's high rise and low rise options. Last time we stayed was at Mirabella - fabulous but way too many people for us (we knew better but got a great deal). Otherwise we've stayed at Sandy Key and Ocean Breeze which were both low density properties, nicely maintained at the time. There are others.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
946 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Okaloosa Island vs Perdido Key

I Love both places. When it's just my husband and I we prefer Perdido Key because it is so laid back and not commercialized. I have done a girls trip to both places and had more fun at Okaloosa Island. I have rented from Brooks and Shorey Resorts and Resort Quest. In Perdido we like to stay at Sandy Key condos.

5. Re: Okaloosa Island vs Perdido Key

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2017, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Fort Walton Beach