We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Environment

Level Contributor
61 posts
19 reviews
Environment

I have seen messages on here about June grass, jellyfish, etc. Are these rare occurrences or do you have to expect them frequently?

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
287 reviews
1. Re: Environment

June grass is spotty, and unpredictable. I've seen a couple hundred yards of "june grass" on the beach to the west of Destin Pass, then driven a couple miles east and the beach was pristine.

Jellyfish are always in the ocean. Sometimes we see them, and sometimes we don't.

Neither jellyfish or "june grass" are rare. They happen.

If the jellyfish bother you, I recommend bringing an inexpensive dive skin with you...a head-to-toe knit cover (very light) that jellyfish cannot sting through.

Level Contributor
61 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Environment

I've never had an encounter with a jellyfish but I assume they would bother me. If they are always in the water are there then a lot of stinging going on? Thanks.

Niceville, Florida
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
287 reviews
3. Re: Environment

That depends on the type of jellyfish. I stay clear of the "man-o-war", which we often see.

We see a lot of these around here...often what we see on Crab Island.

beachhunter.net/thingstoknow/jellyfish/mesog…

United States
Level Contributor
476 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Environment

While you're on the subject of "things in the ocean", I have a question ; today at Seagrove Beach I saw something black and round in the water. I scooped it up with my daughter's softer and it moved, unfurled & squirted water out of a little hole in the end of it! Was that a sea slug or what? It was big-ish, black with little white like "spots" on it, but it looked like they could've been bumpy...? I was too chicken to poke it, but one of the kiddos snuck a poke in. She said it felt "scaly"...?

Anyway, just curious what it could've been...

United States
Level Contributor
7,075 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Environment

Gross, RAdams.

Did it look like any of these pictures? (Other than the microphone holding lady in the bikini).

https://www.google.com/search?q=sea+slug+in+florida&biw=1280&bih=615&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjD4Yfe_efOAhWI5iYKHZbHDfEQsAQIGw

Well, that's bad. It didn't take the copy and paste. :(

Edited: 30 August 2016, 11:29
United States
Level Contributor
7,075 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Environment

Try again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfsHCDK00Cs

United States
Level Contributor
476 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Environment

Oh, no wasn't a sea slug then! It didn't have the cute little antennas or the fan-like thingy coming off of it.

What was it??!! Maybe a tentacle from something? It looked kinda like a tentacle...a short stubby one. Black & had barnacle looking spots all over it. Hmmmm... This will require more research. Hubby got a picture, but I don't know how to link it to TA (other than to add it in with a review...)

8. Re: Environment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2017, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Fort Walton Beach