We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current beach conditions-Fort Myers Beach

Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Current beach conditions-Fort Myers Beach

My family has a trip planned to Fort Myers Beach in early September. We are hoping & praying the beach conditions improve before we go....seeing people on the beach on the beach cams is somewhat encouraging. Reading on this forum that the smell has gotten better and hearing that people have been able to enjoy the beach makes me feel a little better. Not sure if we will get in the water in September but we want to be able to walk the beach and enjoy the beach and not get sick. Has anyone that's been there in the past few days experienced any respiratory issues? After reading and seeing the pictures, we are concerned and worried that the water and beach will stay unsafe/unhealthy. Can anyone who has been on Fort Myers Beach in the past few days tell us what the current conditions are?

I vacation in Ft. Myers Beach a couple times a year, and was there in April and there were some dead fish and red tide issues during that time as well, however this seems a lot worse. It is very sad on what is going on with all the dead sea life, dolphins, manatees, etc and praying something will be done for the contributions to this problem that are not just "natural occurring". I know beach conditions won't be as beautiful and awesome as we are used to, but my love for Fort Myers Beach is still calling me....however, if we can't enjoy the beach and be on the beach, not sure what else I would do. Just need to know if things are getting better and people can be on the beach without getting sick.

36 replies to this topic
St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current beach conditions-Fort Myers Beach

Please follow daily beach reports from Mote Marine Lab: visitbeaches.org There main website has some useful information regarding both red tide, (karenia brevis), and blue/green algae. USF website also has information: usf.edu/article/templates/?a=8524&z=220

No one can predict the severity, duration or movement of the red algal bloom. It is important to check daily reports, know your cancellation policy, take out insurance/interruption insurance that will cover this and have another destination as an option.

London
Level Contributor
52 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current beach conditions-Fort Myers Beach

I response to the question “Has anyone that's been there in the past few days experienced any respiratory issues? ”

I can’t speak for anyone else but we were on the beach by the outrigger Saturday, the Beach by time sq Sunday and out in a boat travelling round the island Monday. No problems for us with breathing, no bad smells and we saw very few dead fish. As I mentioned on another post we have seen lots of birds which wasn’t the case a week or so ago. Things can obviously change but in our view it is much better than a week or so back.

New Bedford...
Level Contributor
245 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current beach conditions-Fort Myers Beach

I’ll be there in 2 days and will post pics throughout the week!

Clinton, Iowa
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current beach conditions-Fort Myers Beach

Please post your pics and comments on the beach locations

thanks

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,365 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current beach conditions-Fort Myers Beach

We have been away since Wednesday and will be back on this Thursday, I really hope things are better than when we left. It was still pretty bad when we left. One note for walking on the beach, there were so many dead fish and some would have disappeared in the sand, I wouldn't walk on the beach without hare bottomed shoes because of fish bones and barbs hidden in the sand.

Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current beach conditions-Fort Myers Beach

Yes, please post pics & give updates on the smell & respiratory conditions. Thank you!

Level Contributor
71 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current beach conditions-Fort Myers Beach

We have been mid island since the 14th. Been to the beach a couple of times did not see any dead fish but did get some sniffles and a sore throat. No strong odors. We took a speed boat tour on the 15th and as we were rounding the northern end, all passengers started coughing and feeling dry throats. My 17 year old is more prone to respiratory ailments and has had “cold” symptoms the whole time. Drove over the causeway to Sanibel yesterday and noticed areas of red drift/ tide in the water. We are still having fun and enjoying our trip. Have seen others in the water and jet skiing, though have been hesitant to do so ourselves.

England
Level Contributor
23 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current beach conditions-Fort Myers Beach

Useful info

Thanks

Saint Paul...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Current beach conditions-Fort Myers Beach

Well spent yesterday at Fort Myers Beach...it had a funky smell. Arrived today at St. Pete Beach and it’s beautiful. Clear waters and white sandy beaches.

London
Level Contributor
52 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Current beach conditions-Fort Myers Beach

I just walked the couple of miles of beach from the outrigger to Junkanoo. No dead fish, no coughing and no watery eyes. Not crowded by any means but people on the beach and in the water. One person fishing. Took some photos so will try to upload later.

Reply to: Current beach conditions-Fort Myers Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach
Recent Conversations