We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I avoid young driver surcharge?

Which Fort Myers hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Can I avoid young driver surcharge?

I will be going to florida and renting a car from fort myers airport for a month, i'm 21, is there any way around the young driver surcharge as it literally doubles the cost of the rental? Does any one know any way round this as im trying to keep the cost to a minimum!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,277 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I avoid young driver surcharge?

Are you sure you can afford to rent a car for a month there????? the surcharge is usually $25 per day, Which is $750 on it's own w/o car rental and insurance.

Who are you flying with? I had heard in the past, of young drivers getting a better deal on a fly drive with Virgin. But of course, they don't fly into RSW.

I would search the Orlando forum on young driver surcharge.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I avoid young driver surcharge?

There is a lot of discussion of this topic on the internet...perhaps you can do a bit more research by entering the search term, "young driver surcharge rental car". I did that (curious) and found an abundance of information ... some encouraging, some not. Seems there is something called a CDP code that may be helpful for this issue. Good Luck!

Hertz underage coupon: PC 144314

or

Hertz Gold Family CDP: hertz.com/goldfamily

Check out that Hertz Gold Family item...sounds pretty promising.

Edited: 06 February 2013, 07:23
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,277 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I avoid young driver surcharge?

the problem with these GMac,

is that they are for US drivers who have their own insurance. UK driver insurance is one person/one car only. Even on a family policy we have to add extra drivers to each car at cost. Over $1200 to add my 20 yr old to my husbands 10 yr old Audi. And never can you drive a friend's/family car as that isn't included either.

a right pain in the bottom. and wallet

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I avoid young driver surcharge?

Very interesting, Amanx. Guess I won't complain so much next time I write a check for my auto insurance.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I avoid young driver surcharge?

Same here...

6. Re: Can I avoid young driver surcharge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2014, 16:16