We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Myers - Key west Ferry.

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Fort Myers - Key west Ferry.

Has anyone been on the Key West Express ferry from Fort Myers. We will be staying in Sarasota and want to go down to Fort Myers and take the ferry, but it is going to cost $290 for the two of us plus a hotel room in Fort Meyers and wonder if it is worth the cost for just one day.

Cape Coral
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Myers - Key west Ferry.

I have been on the Key West Express several times. I just returned last Sat after another terrific week in Key West. My thoughts for you would be to not stay in Fort Myers, but stay in Key West overnight. You are able to board the boat beginning at 7 am, so I would get there as early as possible to get a comfortable spot. The boat leaves at 8:30 am and it is every bit of 3 3/4 hours once you depart the boat......Figure on 12:15-12;25 pm to be on land in Key West. Staying overnight in Key West affords you the opportunity to explore the town, visit Mallory Square for Sunset Celebration, relax and have a nice dinner, hit Duval Street, get some shut eye at a nice B&B and then have the entire following day to get to know the town some more, as the boat does not leave Key West until 6pm! Some of the B&B's will be happy to hold your luggage until you need to leave for the ferry or Paradise Porter's will pick up your bags and hold them until you leave(they are near the terminal). I hope this is helpful, as it is alot of money to take the boat, but if you are able to afford the overnight stay, it is well worth it! Enjoy!

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Myers - Key west Ferry.

The drive will only be 1.25 hours longer (2 from Ft. Myers to Miami and 3 from Miami to KW). So unless you want to experience the ferry it would be a whole lot cheaper to drive. And you get that scenic drive over the 7- mile bridge.

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Myers - Key west Ferry.

Seacoast Airlines flies to Key West from Clearwater 3 times a week -

http://www.seacoastairlines.com/

they offer discount codes regularly on their Facebook page - last one was 29% off for anyone who booked on July 29 -

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Myers - Key west Ferry.

I've driven to KW several times from Ft. Myers and it's closer to a 6 hour trip than 5, but we drive the speed limit or a bit over. It is a great drive if you've never done it, especially compared to the ferry ride which is a bit boring for most of the time. Personally, I would stay overnight in KW so you can experience it, as GGB suggested.

5. Re: Fort Myers - Key west Ferry.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2018, 07:11
6. Re: Fort Myers - Key west Ferry.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 06:15