We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atmosphere, Midweek in August?

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Atmosphere, Midweek in August?

Hello! We are looking at a trip to Delaware and through my husband's work we can get a great deal on a hotel in Dewey. We are looking for a relaxed beach vacation, and will probably want to explore the different towns along the coast, see lighthouses and hit up the brewery as well. Is Dewey a good central location? Also, I have been reading that it is a party town. We are in our late 20s but don't care much for the packed bar scenes. If we stay in Dewey, will we be able to easily get to everywhere else, or is traffic a nightmare? We'd be staying Sunday-Wednesday/Thursday in August.

Any comments, travel tips or advice would be appreciated before we book!

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
1. Re: Atmosphere, Midweek in August?

It certainly helps to avoid Fri-Sat. I do. Traffic would be the worst if it was raining, Then everyone heads to the Outlet Malls on Rt1. Jolly Trolley runs between Rehoboth and Dewey. Rehoboth and Dewey are so close traffic between the 2 is not an issue. Parking in Rehoboth is tough after 10am. Lewes would be the biggest challenge with the traffic and traffic lights on RT 1 . I have no first hand experience with staying in Dewey, I just know of the reputation.

The later in August you can go the better since schools in MD go back before Labor Day. It reduces the crowds.

Edited: 30 June 2016, 23:48
Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
931 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: Atmosphere, Midweek in August?

It does definitly have a "party" scene at a couple of the spots along Rt 1. However, Dewey also enjoys a family reputation as well. I wouldn't let that stop you from jumping at a deal. Dewey and Rehoboth abut each other and either bikes or the Jolly Trolly provide easy access.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Atmosphere, Midweek in August?

August 20 is the start of the "late summer" season when rental prices drop because so many schools now start before Labor Day. Even if you're coming before then, mid-week will still be mostly families and fairly quiet though not uncrowded; it's weekends that get wild and wooly.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
4. Re: Atmosphere, Midweek in August?

Wee.kdays in Dewey should be fine. For a relaxed beach I would go to the Towers Rd Beach in Delaware Seashore State Park just south of Dewey. Pay a fee to enter and park just across the dunes from the beach

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
374 posts
5. Re: Atmosphere, Midweek in August?

Hi, silenttigress.

Dewey is a great central location for spending time at the Delaware Beaches. It's a fun, energetic town. If you're looking for something a little quieter, Rehoboth and Delaware Seashore State Park are both close options. To get a sense of what beach would work best for you, try the link below on "Delaware Beach Styles."

visitdelaware.com/things-to-do/beaches/style/

Happy planning,

The Visit Delaware Team

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
6. Re: Atmosphere, Midweek in August?

Thank you so much! We ended up staying in Dewey and visiting Rehoboth. It was a lovely trip and we enjoyed every moment. We hope to be back soon!

Reply to: Atmosphere, Midweek in August?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dewey Beach
Recent Conversations
More Dewey Beach Topics