We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canopy ban, why?

Bucks County, PA
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
canopy ban, why?

So BB has now followed Rehoboth's example and banned canopies. Why? A lot of multi-families come down together. What takes up more space, a 10'x10' canopy or three or four 7' umbrellas? One woman on the news complained people are coming early in the morning and setting up the canopies and leaving to come back later. Yeah? So what? Aren't they doing that with multiple umbrellas? A safety issue? I've seen more umbrellas flying around loose than canopies. And umbrellas blown by the wind are essentially flying spears. Canopy legs are usually weighed down or buried in the sand. OK, you want to regulate canopies, then instead of banning them, how about requiring them to be back by a specific distance from the shoreline?

12 replies to this topic
Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: canopy ban, why?

If you scroll back in the Rehoboth forum, the issue was discussed extensively at the time Rehoboth enacted its ban, and the reasons are the same:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34048…

delmarvanow.com/story/…

In my experience, the shade that is the most sturdy are the beach umbrellas rented from the vendors on the beach and placed by their employees. I've been seen umbrellas, tents, and canopies ineffectively placed by families all go flying, and saw a woman sustain serious facial injuries when she was hit by someone's flying tent.

Goleta, California
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: canopy ban, why?

The arguments against canopies are specious. They do not block the view of the ocean and take up much less room than a cluster of umbrellas and do not interfere with life guards any more than a bunch of umbrellas. We have used a canopy for many years and it has never blown over or away and I have seen many more people parked under an umbrella drinking than I have under a canopy.

Hauling 4 or 5 umbrellas versus one canopy does not appeal and it is expensive to rent that many for a week. I had to book a house before the vote on the ban took place, but this will be our last season at Bethany Beach.

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
8,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: canopy ban, why?

Sounds like a lot of whining and excuses. 1 canopy doesn't come close to equaling the shade space provided by 5 umbrellas.

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: canopy ban, why?

As some whose family has vacationed in Rehoboth for the past 50 years, I can assure that umbrellas worked just fine for all concerned in the pre-canopy era. I wish you luck finding a beach that hasn't banned the canopies and tents yet -- it's a movement that's spreading up and down the east coast.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: canopy ban, why?

Agreed! This is our last year too

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
88 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: canopy ban, why?

The public beach in Bethany is only 1.4 miles long and maybe 50 yards wide at low tide. Funneling 15,000 tourists onto this sliver of shoreline has its hazards to begin with. If the Town of Bethany says canopies are a safety concern, it’s because their outstanding lifeguards (and by extension police and firefighters) have deemed them so. There’s no comparison between these large structures and easily removable beach umbrellas, which by the way, are only a hazard if you don’t know how to use them.

The towns on the Delaware coast are not trying to discourage tourism. On the contrary, rules like this one have been put in place to keep locals and our many guests safe and comfortable in a relatively small area. States like New Jersey and California have hundreds of miles of coastline, with diverse towns that accommodate a variety of tastes for beach goers. We have about 14 miles of ocean shore for people to enjoy, and 5 otherwise tiny towns that get a little overwhelmed June-August. Just be respectful of those full-time residents who are trying to make it enjoyable for everyone.

7. Re: canopy ban, why?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to copyright infringement. By law, we must remove any messages that include content protected by copyright which has been reproduced without direct permission from the author/publisher -- this includes but is not limited to items copied and pasted from online news agencies, magazines and commercial/personal websites, trademarks, passwords, confidential information, or intellectual property of any other person.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2018, 04:54

Stratford, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: canopy ban, why?

So we should all rent umbrellas? That"s BS. Seems to me that someone (the umbrella rental company) has lined the pockets of the officials who make these rules. I have seen multiple videos of "renegade" umbrellas" that have come loose causing serious injury to beach goers, yet they allow them. I haven't see any footage showing "canopy injuries" at any beach. I am also betting that it is locals that pushed this rule because a few idiot tourists didn't have the courtesy to set up their canopies a reasonable distance from the shoreline, blocking the ocean view. Too bad that a few bad apples spoil it for everyone. SAD!

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
88 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: canopy ban, why?

Here’s the point...if not having the ability to erect a canopy on the beach is you dealbreaker, there are plenty of other places to vacation besides Bethany and Rehoboth where they don’t have this “oppressive” regulation. As I’ve said before, these are geographically tiny towns with small populations that are trying to accommodate tens of thousands of tourists for three months a year. Their infrastructure, as well as the ability of emergency responders (police, fire, emt, lifeguards) is at critical mass June-August.

The regulations agreed upon by the town government, as elected by residents and property owners, are put in place for the greater good of the community. The residents were polled by the town preceding the “canopy ban” vote, and unanimously sent the message to their elected representatives that this was their wish. It was an open process, and was well-covered by the local press. Residents, property owners, and business owners all had the opportunity to participate.

The participants in this forum who are guests in Bethany have choices: become a property owner and get involved in local government, go to another beach that has fewer regulations (OCMD and Wildwood NJ are lovely this time of year), or enjoy the beautiful surf and sand of the Delaware coast under an umbrella.

Stratford, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: canopy ban, why?

Thanks for the "If you don't like it, go somewhere else" attitude. I have yet to see a valid reason why the canopies were banned other than "the residents don't like them". Was there a safety reason to validate it? You seemed to hint at it when responding.

Reply to: canopy ban, why?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted