We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to CT

Bronx, New York
5 posts
Moving to CT

Hi Everyone! I'm planning to move to CT from NYC next Spring. Have been researching for some time now trying to narrow down to specific areas. My next step is to actually spend more time out there and get a feel of the areas. I wanted to pose the question though, since these forums have helped me in this search. I am a single parent (10 year old son) and would like to live relatively close to the city as all my family friends still will be here in NYC. Whats most important to me is safety, DIVERSITY, education for my son and budget (typically wouldn't want to spend more than $1200 on a 2 bedroom apt). I really like Stamford (pricey as far as my search goes,but love it), New Haven, Stratford and Milford...If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. This is extra important to me because i would like to rent and then plan to buy within the next year or two!

5 replies to this topic
1. Re: Moving to CT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline prohibiting hate speech and racist or culturally-insensitive comments. Hate speech is defined as: speech or written word intended to degrade, intimidate, or incite violence or prejudicial action against a group of people based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2018, 01:26

Stamford...
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
2. Re: Moving to CT

Anywhere in Fairfield county is going to be on the pricey side but good rentals can be found. We have lived in Stamford, my wife her entire life, and myself most of it. Kid both grew up in the city here and went thru the public school system. Both came out just fine and are doing well for themselves. Travel to NY is easy. Glenbrook area is nice. Area has much to offer. No place in the world is perfect but we have been happy here.

CT, USA
Level Contributor
211 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Moving to CT

Norwalk is undergoing a building boom in apartments. Prices should be competitive now. I think $1200 can be doable.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Moving to CT

None of the new apartments in Norwalk are in the $1200 category. For example a 1 bedroom at the Waypointe, 1 of the newer building will cost about $2500 a month. I rented a 2 bedroom in East Norwalk over 20 years ago and it was $1100 a month.

Westport...
Level Contributor
236 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Moving to CT

When I moved back to CT 9 years ago everyone told me “you have to live in Stamford for diversity”. I don’t find that to be true but since that’s your strongest point for the move, you might take that into consideration. I think your rental price expectations are very low, but you never know what you can find

Reply to: Moving to CT
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted