We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Connecticut

South Elgin...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Moving to Connecticut

Hi. Looking for a family friendly town that is a relatively easy commute to Stamford (less than an hour by train).

Our budget is around 800k. We have a toddler and another on the way. Good schools are a must.

I know very little about the area, so recommendations on towns to explore would be very helpful.

9 replies to this topic
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Moving to Connecticut

Weston, Redding, New Cannan and Ridgefield are good towns. They are within 45 min drive to Stamford. Trains are rarely used to commute to work unless you are going into NY City, most people own cars in CT.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
194 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Moving to Connecticut

There's a site called city-data.com that focuses on this sort of question, I'd recommend you post there too.

I will note however that I disagree somewhat with the prior reply about train use within CT. Certainly a good number of people take the train to Stamford, as there are a number of offices within walking distance of the station.

Edited: 19 July 2018, 20:56
suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
5,131 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: Moving to Connecticut

With that price range, you can find a house in Stamford - I would highly recommend looking in Fairfield and Westport as well - both towns with great schools, great family neighborhoods, and under an hour by train.

South Elgin...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Moving to Connecticut

We have narrowed our search down to Fairfield and Ridgefield. I’m not sure which is more suited for a young family, so if anyone has experience living in or near these towns please let me know.

Thanks for all the great tips and suggestions thus far!!

Westport...
Level Contributor
236 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Moving to Connecticut

Property taxes in Fairfield are ridiculous so definitely Ridgefield for its great schools, walkable town center and family friendly atmosphere. Good luck

CT, USA
Level Contributor
211 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: Moving to Connecticut

Ridgefield for schools and seclusion. It is on the spur railroad Danbury line not centered on the NY-New Haven urban continuum. Both are fine places.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
100 posts
678 reviews
7. Re: Moving to Connecticut

If commuting is important and want it to be easier, pick Fairfield. Trains run very frequent to Stamford. Ridgefield train options arent the best.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: Moving to Connecticut

Commuting from Ridgefield is much less convenient then from Fairfield, and the Danbury line gets more and more reductions all the time. If ease of commute is a major factor it's really a no-brainer.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
5,131 posts
64 reviews
9. Re: Moving to Connecticut

Agree with the ease of commute comments for Fairfield - I grew up in Fairfield, and my nephews are growing up there now. It's a great place to raise kids - Lots of options for activity, it's an easy commute to the city with two train stations, and full of good restaurants and shops. I would probably choose that over Ridgefield based on the commute.

Reply to: Moving to Connecticut
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted