We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving from NJ to Stamford, CT.

Miramar, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Moving from NJ to Stamford, CT.

My fiance and I both work in NYC and are looking to find a home and Stamford caught my eye. Commute doesnt seem too bad from the city and looks like it has both downtown and suburbia living. We have two sons (teen & tween) and was looking at areas closer to the express train. A few things are important to me... safety, education, diversity, and things to do. The area by the beach looks great! Is there any places you wouldnt recommend for kids and how are the people? I truly believe the people make up the feeling of a city. :)

3 replies to this topic
Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving from NJ to Stamford, CT.

Stamford is a very diverse city. The area right around the train station might be a little urban for some peoples liking. Also, by the train station will be more apartment living then home, what kind of housing are you looking for?

Edited: 14 May 2018, 02:22
CT, USA
Level Contributor
196 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving from NJ to Stamford, CT.

Stamford is a great little city with a vibrant downtown and bucolic neighborhoods. Hope street has affordable surroundings leading towards the pricey, and is on the New Canaan train line. Likewise High Ridge road begins downtown and leads into the bucolic burbs. I’m sure you can find what you want and will be happy there.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
5,103 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving from NJ to Stamford, CT.

My brother and sister in law bought in Stamford right after they married - she is from NJ as well, and absolutely loves the convenience in Stamford - easy access to stores, easy parking, etc... There are a lot of great areas that are an easy commute into the city, it just depends on what you are seeking for living arrangements. If you want apartments / condos, then downtown is great - they have done wonders with the Harbor Point area, lots of great condos there. For houses, I would look more towards Glenbrook or Noroton - both have train stations that are walkable from many neighborhoods, and good family atmosphere. Higher end, near the beach, would be Shippan, or a little lower, the Cove. I would stay more towards that side of town if commuting into the city - Anything up High Ridge Rd or Long Ridge Rd is going to be a 20 + minute ride to the train station due to downtown traffic.

Reply to: Moving from NJ to Stamford, CT.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted