We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice from Stamford to Nyc

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Need advice from Stamford to Nyc

We are seniors driving and parking in Stamford for a trip to NYC-May 2017. We are new to trains, subways etc. I went to the train site and do not understand the routes or types of transport. Can anyone specifically help us on what train to take, I know I need the express something. Any help or info would be sooooo much appreciated.

Sincerely

Diane

14 replies to this topic
conn
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
148 reviews
1. Re: Need advice from Stamford to Nyc

Trains from Stamford to Grand Central Station (GCS)

as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_results.cfm…

.They run approximately every 20 minutes. Looks like they all run on about the same length time. So no worry about local or not. The trains marked off peak are less expensive.

Edited: 15 January 2017, 02:22
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Need advice from Stamford to Nyc

Thanks for your reply, but I do not know which train or trains to take. Can I bring 2carry on bags? Is there a fee?

conn
Level Contributor
3,636 posts
172 reviews
3. Re: Need advice from Stamford to Nyc

To NYC you would take metro north New Haven line trains don't worry all the trains go to Grand Central in NYC.

I have to say that Stamford is one of the harder stations for a newbe to deal with it has multy platforms and tracts

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
188 reviews
4. Re: Need advice from Stamford to Nyc

There is no fee for the bags. You have to carry them on yourself. There is a shelf above your seat for them or there is space in front of the car to leave them. They cannot be in a seat.

I would suggest getting to Stamford early so you don't have to rush. There will be plenty of people there so don't feel guilty about asking for help. They may have a manned ticket booth or you buy tickets from a machine. Do not wait to buy tickets on train (cost goes way up). Buy a round trip ticket then. You do not have to specify a train for your return. Somewhere there should be a sign saying which train is on what track and find the train you want to take and follow the signs to that track. Trains run frequently. Make sure you get an Express train (quicker ride as it doesn't stop at every station).

It is easier than it sounds and people will help you. Enjoy your trip.

Oslo
Level Contributor
867 posts
383 reviews
5. Re: Need advice from Stamford to Nyc

Hi, You can park at the Train Station. Trains "Metro North" leave about every 20 mins and arrive at Grand Central in NYC. A great alternative.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Need advice from Stamford to Nyc

MetroNorth has a staffed ticket counter at the Stamford station, formally known as the Stamford Transportation Center. As seniors, the ticket price doesn't depend on when you ride; at both peak and off-peak times you will pay the same (discounted) price: currently, $7.50 for a one-way ticket; $15 for a round-trip ticket.

The MetroNorth schedules for May have not yet been posted, but here's the page to use closer to your travel date. Select Stamford from the list that appears when you click the "From Station" box & Grand Central from the list that appears when you click the "To Station" box:

as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

I don't think you need to be concerned about trying to get to the station in enough time to board any particular train. Even on Sundays (the day of less frequent service), MetroNorth train departures from Stamford between 9 AM - 9 PM are no more than 20-30 minutes apart. During non-rush hours service on weekdays, there can be as little as 10 minutes between train departures. And the difference in travel time between express and local trains isn't all that great: 50 minutes vs 70 minutes, max.

Harbor Point Gateway Garage is now accepting reservations for parking by the day if having a reservation would give you greater peace of mind: $10/day & it's fine to leave cars there overnight:

http://www.thegatewaygarage.com

www.thegatewaygarage.com/daily-parkers/

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Need advice from Stamford to Nyc

Thank you so much for that advice, we really appreciate it

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Need advice from Stamford to Nyc

Thank you for the advice. Very kind of you

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Need advice from Stamford to Nyc

Very detailed and it's making us very confident. We can do this!!! Thank you for taking the time to write back . You have been very helpful .hugs sent

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Need advice from Stamford to Nyc

Thank you very much. Everything helps

Reply to: Need advice from Stamford to Nyc
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted