We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to ski in Colorado, suggestions please.

Tx.
Level Contributor
38 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
1st time to ski in Colorado, suggestions please.

I am trying to plan a trip to Colorado. Our son is graduating college in the spring and thinks Colorado would be a great choice for him to start his career. I am planning a week long trip sometime between the middle of December to the middle of January. I would like to spend a day or two in Denver then spend the rest of the trip at a ski lodge. Husband and son would be skiing and have never skied before so will need lessons, preferably private lessons. No skiing for me due to a back injury so I need someplace I can wonder around while they guys are skiing. I was thinking Beaver Creek or Vail would be a good choice but not but would like your suggestions or ideas. Thank you for your help.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,910 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to ski in Colorado, suggestions please.

Mid December to mid January covers the holiday period which is most expensive and heavily booked period of the season. If you have the flexibility, I would recommend going right after New Year's when it will be a bit lighter. You'll have a greater range of options for reservations at lower cost.

Both Beaver Creek and Vail are great resorts. Vail will have more doing on for you than Beaver Creek, but either is fine. It's the same company so lift tickets work either place. Beaver Creek Village is up on the mountain. Look at Park Hyatt for a top end hotel experience right on the slopes, or Osprey for a smaller boutique experience. The Pines is also nice. And you have a host of other options. Do try to stay right in the village (Pines is not).

In Vail, try to stay in either Vail Village or Lionshead. Personally prefer Vail Village. There look at Lodge at Vail, Tivoli, Sonnenalp. In Lionshead I like the Marriott but it's kind of industrial. Arrabelle would be another wonderful choice.

Have fun.

Tx.
Level Contributor
38 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to ski in Colorado, suggestions please.

Thank you so much Tumbleweed. You information was exactly what I was looking for.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to ski in Colorado, suggestions please.

Vail is obviously my first choice since we chose to move here! The week from Christmas to New Years is the busiest week of the year. The week leading up to Christmas isn't too bad and anytime after New Years in January is great. There is tons to do in both vail and beaver creek for non skiers and you can easily visit both if you stay in vail or beaver creek. There is shopping, tons of galleries and restaurants, snowshoeing and ice skating. In vail, there is a movie theater, a bowling alley, and an awesome ski and snowboard museum.

Tx.
Level Contributor
38 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to ski in Colorado, suggestions please.

Thank you Emptynester44. That is great information because I will need something to keep me out of trouble while the guys are skiing.

5. Re: 1st time to ski in Colorado, suggestions please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2017, 15:16