We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowshoeing/Wellness in November

Solothurn...
9 posts
Save Topic
Snowshoeing/Wellness in November

Hi everybody

I'm currently planning a trip to Colorado in late november/early december and like to spend some days in a holiday-region in the Rockies.

My main goals are:

- Good snowshoe treks with gear rental options.

- Some more snow adventure stuff like tubing, snowmobiling etc. (Skiing is not an option)

- A hotel/lodge with a good spa-area and probably also some workout-options or a public spa nearby.

- Not overly expensive.

Do you think Vail is a good option for this?

My other destinations of choice would be Breckenridge and Beaver Creek.

What do you think of them, respecting my mentioned goals?

Are there even better areas in the Rockies at this time of the year?

Plans are to arrive at Denver on th 16th of november and travel to the mountains the day after.

I will return to Denver on the 22nd of november and stay there for the rest of my stay untill 6th of december.

Should I rent a car for these 6 days or is public transport good in the Rockies/Denver area?

Thanks for any recommendations and tips!

Baja California...
Level Contributor
88 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowshoeing/Wellness in November

You could take a airport shuttle like Colorado Mountain Express to the mountains and depend on public transportation in any of these towns. They each have bus service. Vail has a free in town bus. Breckenridge has the largest town, and probably most vibrant scene that time of year. The mountain will be open Nov. 11. I stayed there this summer and the hotel had its own in town shuttle, which is convenient.

I'm partial to Vail but because I have lived nearby for 20+ years. It's not cheap but since you are arriving before the mountain opens (Nov. 18) there are some great deals on hotels. The Tivoli Hotel is in the heart of the Village and looks like they have a fitness center, for $142/night on hotels.com. The Vail Racquet Club might interest you, but it's about 6 miles from the Village, but again accessible by the free bus. There is great hiking in East Vail. There are a couple health clubs in Vail Village you could do day passes - Vail Athletic Club or Cascade Club in West Vail.

Beaver Creek is going to be the quietest of places this time of year, as it doesn't open until Nov. 23. It's village is very small. There is a large public Rec Center in Avon, a bus ride from Beaver Creek.

Take a look at Nova Guides for snowmobiling. http://www.novaguides.com/winter-activities/

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowshoeing/Wellness in November

Your timeframe of November 17-22 is usually too early for tubing and snowmobling.

Solothurn...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowshoeing/Wellness in November

Thanks for your answers!

I thought about going to Beaver Creek but in that case it's not an option anymore.

Now I'm thinking about Keystone, which opens already on the 4th of november and has plenty more snowshoeing trails than Breckenridge.

I've also decided to rent a car because I want to be independ.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,903 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowshoeing/Wellness in November

As Babalax noted, your dates are really too early for the activities you're seeking. Ski areas open with manmade snow on the ski runs. While you can't really predict the weather, traditionally there is not sufficient natural snow in the backcountry to support things like snowmobiling or snow shoeing. As you get into December, those options will increase. Tubing is often on manmade snow, but unlikely tubing hills would be open yet on your December dates.

That aside, you have good advice here on lodging in Vail. The Park Hyatt (large hotel) along with Osprey and Pines (smaller boutique hotels) are good options there.

Keystone is an early opening ski resort but, again, not sure that you'll find a lot of activity possibilities outside of that on those dates.

Have fun.

5. Re: Snowshoeing/Wellness in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2017, 15:16