We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for daytrips from Vail

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
429 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for daytrips from Vail

Hi we are going to be staying in Vail. Some tell me that it is a more manicured "upscale" town. Can you recommend day trips to more casual (but not physically demanding) areas? Would love to see smaller charming towns, wildlife if possible, and views. I've hear a lot about the charm of Estes Park and RMNP but that seems a bit far? Thanks for any input. (3 middle aged woman who like food, drink, and views. Have a rental and don't mind driving.)

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for daytrips from Vail

When is your trip? It's much easier to give you ideas if we know when.

Vail does have plenty of upscale hotels, shops and restaurants but there are plenty of things to do that aren't and the views are pretty nice too.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,058 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for daytrips from Vail

Minturn is pretty awesome. Can also take a beautiful road trip to Leadville.

Vail is gorgeous, it's perfect for charm, views and food/drink!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for daytrips from Vail

I highly recommend RMNP. It is a bit of a drive. Our trip is in October. We are flying into Denver going to RMNP for a couple days and then spending the rest of the week in Vail. We have not been to Aspen. We will probably check it out on this trip. RMNP has lots of hikes and some wild life. Expect to see a lot of Elk and some Moose. Have a great trip.

Colorado
Level Contributor
11,666 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for daytrips from Vail

Suggestions for "smaller charming towns" in the vicinity:

Frisco, Breckenridge, Georgetown.

I will echo what dogmama asked - need to know when your trip will take place so that we can advise you. Also, how many days will you be here?

If it's a long weekend in the fall I'd stay in Vail - there's no need to go anywhere else, really.

If you have a week, you could drive to Rocky Mountain National Park. It's around 2 hours to the west side (Grand Lake), 3 hours to the east side of the park (Estes Park).

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,737 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for daytrips from Vail

+1 for Frisco and Minturn. If you like consignment shops be sure to pop into http://holytoledo.co

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
429 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for daytrips from Vail

Thank you. Just got here. 4 nights

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
429 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for daytrips from Vail

Thank you. We just got here for 4 nights

Edited: 23 September 2016, 11:07
8. Re: Looking for daytrips from Vail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2017, 15:16