We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vail wedding.... help needed please

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Vail wedding.... help needed please

My daughter is trying to plan a wedding in Vail for September or October 2017 for about 30 guests. She has a tight budget and is keeping costs in mind for the guests as well.

Guests will be flying into Denver and will need to be transported to Vail. Should they rent vehicles or are there hotel shuttles?

Suggestions for...

A wedding venue

A nice dinner following the wedding

I appreciate the help! :)

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vail wedding.... help needed please

you need a real wedding planner, not a trip advisor.

https:/…wedding-planners-vail-co

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vail wedding.... help needed please

Vail is a hard place to have a wedding on a tight budget. She will get better prices after Columbus Day but it's considered shoulder season and the town is fairly quiet.

Hotels do not have shuttles from the Denver Airport, it is about a 2 hour drive. There are shuttle services like Colorado Mountain Express and Peak1 but renting a car may be desirable for folks too.

There are lots of hotels and restaurants to choose from, it really depends on what here budget is. Also you can consider renting a house or condos through VRBO to have a bit more space.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,913 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vail wedding.... help needed please

Tight budget, Vail and transportation from two hours away don't all go together. Would take Texranger's advice and get a wedding planner.

That said, check with Colorado Mountain Express on transportation. Plan on neighborhood of $75 per person each way. Car rental is often cheaper, but cars are very expensive at Denver airport. Forum here has good advice in previous threads on saving money on rental cars by renting at off airport locations like Quebec Street and I-70.

Vail has no shortage of nice restaurants and venues. I don't know if Vail does on-mountain weddings, but there are many good locations like top of the gondola at mid-Vail. The Tenth restaurant up there is stellar, we've done several events up there.

We've also done many group dinners at Sweet Basil in Vail Village, which is good sized for your group. You could do the back section and have some privacy. We've also used Terra Bistro. While I haven't used it for a group, I'm a big fan of Pepi's. It's Austrian oriented cuisine so might not be broadly conducive to the group. But other options are endless.

All in all, you'll do well by getting a wedding planner. If you're not from the area, it will present continuing challenges for you if you don't have a local voice. My wife is in this business so I see it firsthand.

Good luck.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,845 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vail wedding.... help needed please

Totally agree with Tex and others. While Vail is not really the location of choice for a destination wedding on a tight budget, you should hire a wedding planner no matter what town or venue you choose.

People often underestimate the logistics and planning involved with even an intimate destination wedding and it's a recipe for disaster.

Boulder
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vail wedding.... help needed please

Wedding in Vail? On a budget?

Everything everyone else said. I'll only add that late September is high aspen viewing season so accommodations and venues will likely come at a premium. Also.... in October and you could have snow. Plan accordingly.

Colorado is a big state. Why not go somewhere else?

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,296 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vail wedding.... help needed please

Many of the smaller resorts/ski areas "do" weddings. They all have gorgeous views and scenery, will help with planning, and will no doubt be less expensive than Vail. A few ideas:

arapahoebasin.com/ABasin/weddings-and-events…

keystoneresort.com/groups-and-conferences/we…

www.coppercolorado.com/winter/groups/weddings

Edited: 01 July 2016, 02:24
Boulder
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vail wedding.... help needed please

A Basin! What a lovely idea.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vail wedding.... help needed please

Budget can mean a lot of different amounts to different people so I will not assume what you meant. Vail can be a very nice for a wedding ceremony. I think the naysayers are a little ahead of this one.

I went to a wedding at the Vail Golf Course several years ago that was nice. The restaurant is being remodeled now and I am not sure when it is to be done but the "Wedding Island" is still in use. It is owned by the Town and locals get married there so I am guessing that it is reasonable price. September/October could be very pretty if you catch the leaves changing.

vailgov.com/projects/vail-golf-nordic-clubho…

For high drama you can rent the wedding spot at the top of the gondola from Vail Assoc.

+1 for Sweet Basil if you do not eat at the venue.

https://sweetbasilvail.com/groups/

Some hotels and spas run discounts that time of the year that may help or there are VRBOs that could allow families to share a place to save.

P.S. go for September rather than October.

Edited: 01 July 2016, 03:24
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vail wedding.... help needed please

I absolutely appreciate all of the input! I will start researching further.... I also agree with hiring a wedding planner, just wanted to see if tripadvisor could give me a start. I may also check into hiring a travel agent.

Sounds as though September would be the better month for a wedding in that area. Flying in from the Midwest and the possibility of snow is not a good idea :)

I have been to Colorado a few times, but mostly to the Springs area.

Thank you again!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vail wedding.... help needed please

Hi,

I just re-read your post and appreciate your thoughts and advice! I believe we may have wedding plans set!

The wedding will be held on labor day weekend 2017. They chose the Vail Chapel for the ceremony, Sweet Basil for the dinner and the guests are staying at the Christiana. YAY!!

So.... They are keeping everything pretty simple and inexpensive :)) No big hoopla and I love it! Vail is beautiful....

Thank you again!!