We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biting insects?

New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Biting insects?

I read in some places that there are many biting insects like mosquitos in the wilderness area near Vail. Coming from the humid northeast, just wondering if we need to be ready to battle with mosquitos and ticks??

Thank you

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,453 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biting insects?

We have had a really wet spring/summer so the mosquitos are more of a problem than normal. Though probably not as bad as you are used to. A bit of OFF and you will be fine. I have lived and hiked in Colorado for nearly 20 years and have never had a tick. Yuck! I know we have them just maybe lucky I guess.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,453 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biting insects?

Cute pups! I have 2 Australian Shepherds who hike and mountain bike with us. They too have never had a tick.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biting insects?

When are you visiting? Some mosquitos until probably September and tick season may already be over, I remember lots of them during early summer as a kid (May to June). I have had the misfortune of finding ticks on me, makes me cringe even today, lol!

New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biting insects?

Thanks! The red one came to NY from Greely Colorado 12 years ago. Wish I could take them with us to Colorado!

We live in the lyme disease capital of the world, so ticks are huge problems!

5. Re: Biting insects?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2010, 17:24