We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mining tour

New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Mining tour

We are leaving for Vail soon. Any place near Vail that we can do the mining tour? Long time ago I did one near Cripple Creek, and it was fun!

Thank you!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,935 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mining tour

You can do a mine tour in Leadville, which is about an hour or less from Vail area. It's been some time since I did it so I don't have particulars but it's a really interesting mining community.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,400 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mining tour

If you fly into Denver, while driving west on I70, you pass Idaho Springs. Fun mine/mill tour there, plus a great lunch spot at Beau Joes Pizza.

We also love visiting Leadville, there is a drive to the east of town up to the mines, fun if you are adventurous.

Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mining tour

We did the Cripple Creek tour today (thanks to a trip advisor suggestion). If was a neat experience that our entire family really enjoyed. Our kids loved it (ages 9, 6, & 3). Cripple Creek is a fun little town too...especially if you're a gambler.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mining tour

Two other options are the Georgrtown railroad loop. It is a scenic train ride with an optional mining tour half way. You get off half way, go onthe tour, and then catch another train. www.GeorgetownLoopRR.com

Outside of Breckenridge there is Country Boy Mine, that is fun for kids too. www.CountryBoyMine.com

New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mining tour

Thank you - so many things to do and so liitle time! Will try one in Leadville!

6. Re: Mining tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2010, 17:24