We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How are roads Silverton>Gladstone>Animas Forks>Silv'ton loop

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
898 posts
196 reviews
How are roads Silverton>Gladstone>Animas Forks>Silv'ton loop

We will have a 4x4 Jeep and from what I've read the road to Gladstone (CO 110A or 10) is relatively good as well as the road from Animas Forks (2 and 110) to Eureka and Howardsville back to Silverton.

My map program from Gladstone to Animas Forks says to take 10 and CR 19. Is this the best route and, if so, how are the roads to get there? The curvy dirt roads don't bother me but we're not daredevils.

Thanks, Kent

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,242 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: How are roads Silverton>Gladstone>Animas Forks>Silv'ton loop

What I would do is look for youtube videos of the various roads. There are lots of dashcam videos out there.

Here's to Animas Forks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uxQnFSWQpI Looks doable

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
898 posts
196 reviews
2. Re: How are roads Silverton>Gladstone>Animas Forks>Silv'ton loop

Thanks for your excellent advice. Don't know why I didn't think about YouTube and a dash cam movie because I bought one for this trip but I haven't opened the box yet. It's like my wife says, "There are cameras everywhere.".

Thanks again,

Kent

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,474 posts
178 reviews
3. Re: How are roads Silverton>Gladstone>Animas Forks>Silv'ton loop

I'm not sure about the daredevil factor of Hurricane Pass but will ask DH if you have trouble finding a video. He and a friend were just on Corkscrew & Poughkeepsie so I think they must have gone over Hurricane. Here's a brochure in case you don't have it: If I remember correctly, I think you'll be okay on Hurricane Pass if you can handle some loose rock and the typical narrow sections where two vehicles can't pass. It will be above treeline. I don't recommend you take Poughkeepsie Gulch road which would descend past Lake Como from Hurricane Pass north. Instead go on through California Gulch as planned and to Animas Forks. In case you were thinking of it, I also don't recommend Mineral Creek to Engineer...VERY rough and rocky these days.

blm.gov/style/…20Brochure.pdf

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
898 posts
196 reviews
4. Re: How are roads Silverton>Gladstone>Animas Forks>Silv'ton loop

missp,

I'm not planning to get on Corkscrew, Poughkeepsie, Imogene, Black Bear, Engineer or a couple of other Passes. I was planning to do the Alpine Loop from Ouray until the road closure and the general hassle it will cause. I think the Gladstone loop will be much less challenging.

We'll do the Gladstone, Hurricane, California, Animas, Eureka and back to Silverton on Sunday when the road is open. Also many stops along the way to Ouray via 550 including Gaston and Yankee Girl.

We will also go along Hwy 62 and CR 5, 7 & 9 and Dallas Divide and then Last Dollar to Telluride. Lunch and drive to the western end of town. Then Alta and Alta Lakes and then Ophir and driving toward Ophir Pass but turn around before the pass because I don't want to deal with the 550 construction and return to Ouray via 145 and 62.

We'll go to Camp Bird and Yankee Boy as far as we can before the roads get too rough.

Also we may do one road to the west of 550 before Ridgway State Park. Sorry, I'm on laptop and it's early here (6:53 AM) and the info is on my desktop.

Thanks for your help. I do plan to look on YouTube.

Kent

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,474 posts
178 reviews
5. Re: How are roads Silverton>Gladstone>Animas Forks>Silv'ton loop

Think about adding Owl Creek Pass. It takes off to the east from 550 north of Ridgway, CR 10, I believe. You can go all the way to Hwy 50 if you wish and then back through Montrose. Views of Courthouse Mountain, Chimney Peak and the jagged Cimarron Ridge along with lots of aspen color, usually slightly later than the colors up by Silverton.

Not sure which road would go west from 550.

The road in to Yankee Boy is pretty good and you'll at least be able to go in far enough to see the falls and the lower basin (there's parking by the outhouse and a couple of places) There is a section where you pass under a rock overhang along a cliff that will give you pause, but it is flat and straight...just no place to pass an oncoming vehicle.

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
898 posts
196 reviews
6. Re: How are roads Silverton>Gladstone>Animas Forks>Silv'ton loop

You're correct. It is east and that's the one. I think if you wish you can go by a big reservoir (Hanging Lake and Silver Creek Campground) and on up to a small lake and a campground (Beaver Lake and Campground) and then I would probably turn around. We've been the Gunnison Black Canyon and Montrose.

Thanks for the info.

Kent

7. Re: How are roads Silverton>Gladstone>Animas Forks>Silv'ton loop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2018, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Silverton