We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers... Jeep/ ATV rentals

Level Contributor
117 posts
41 reviews
First timers... Jeep/ ATV rentals

We are making a last minute trip to Silverton area around Sept 10. Couldn't decide between Silverton, Telluride or Gunnison. We are outdoorsy and adventurous and have been on ATVs. Wondering if JEEP is better route? Two years in a row it was too cold in silverton for Jeeps. Any recommendations?!

9 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
21,074 posts
451 reviews
1. Re: First timers... Jeep/ ATV rentals

I would go to Ouray and rent a Jeep. I can't imagine you would have problems with temperatures, especially if it's enclosed. I feel you'll get the most diversity of trails and rental options there.

Have fun.

Level Contributor
117 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: First timers... Jeep/ ATV rentals

Thank you Tumbleweed! Reccomend any parks or campgrounds... Possibly stream or lake close by sites

Jemez Pueblo, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
299 reviews
3. Re: First timers... Jeep/ ATV rentals

I ran several trails last weekend in my jeep. Still pleasant even at 13000 ft level. I saw a lot of ATV but they looked a bit bumpy and bouncy for me. But that may just be me. Sept 10 should not be too cold.

I would recommend Ouray also much more to see and do. Telluride is just crazy expensive IMHO.

LOTS OF TRAILS around Ouray and I would recommend the book Trails of Colorado before starting.

Level Contributor
117 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: First timers... Jeep/ ATV rentals

Medal guy thanks,... I have seen that book recommended before. Can I buy it online??

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,560 posts
178 reviews
5. Re: First timers... Jeep/ ATV rentals

In our opinion, ATVs are less bumpy a ride than jeeps! But either will get you out on the jeep trails. ATVs of course are allowed on some of the narrower trails where Jeeps and other larger vehicles can't go.

In SW Colorado, Ouray, Silverton, Telluride and Lake City (and South Fork, too, I believe) are some of the best destinations for both ATVs and Jeeps. Not so many options in Gunnison, or Crested Butte but up around Taylor Reservoir there are always lots of ATVs. Ouray has the most "jeep" rental companies.

We always take several layers when we go on the ATV. Two weeks ago we went over Owl Creek Pass and it was around 60 degrees, and it can be even chillier at the higher elevations. Very cool and pleasant when the sun's out but if you get a bit of rain or wind and brrrr!

If you go to Ouray or Silverton, be aware that there will be road work on Red Mountain Pass with periods of road closures. That shouldn't affect the trails too much but you need to be aware of the closure times in case it affects your travel days. Here's a recent discussion: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33397-i907-k88227…

If you've decided on Ouray, Ridgway State Park has lakeside camping. There are three forest service campgrounds and some private campgrounds at Ouray. Angel Creek is creekside.

…usda.gov/recarea/…

Jemez Pueblo, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
299 reviews
6. Re: First timers... Jeep/ ATV rentals

Yes it's available on Amazon. "Colorado Trails Southwest Region" published by APC Publishing, Parker CO. Edited by Peter Massey, Jeanne Wilson, and Angela Titus.

Be sure to read the descriptions of the categories of trails, ranging from 1 to 9 difficulty. Unless you're familiar with driving on shelf roads, I'd say to stay on difficulty 3 or 4 maximum, lower difficulties are much easier to travel. Anything rated 5 or above will be very difficult to traverse. In my own experience, 4 level roads can be very hard, especially now at the end of the season after 4 months of driving and rain washing. Have fun.

Lithuania
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: First timers... Jeep/ ATV rentals

Hi,

has anyone from outside the US rented a jeep in the area? It'll be our fourth road trip in the US and there were a few in Europe, rented plenty of cars but in Silverton, CO they say that they rent jeeps only to US locals with US insurance (we're a family with a 12 year old child, perfect rental history, always buy insurance). Would you suggest some company nearby: Durango/Ouray?

It was one of the top attractions on this journey's list and it seems we'll have to think of something else :(

Would be grateful for your advice.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,560 posts
178 reviews
8. Re: First timers... Jeep/ ATV rentals

I don't see anything requiring U.S. residency or a U.S. driver's license on a couple of the companies but the insurance might be the sticking point or they may just not have thought to list the requirement. They generally require drivers to be over 25 years of age and have a valid credit card. I would contact the companies. Contacting the company about insurance and other requirements ahead of time seems a good idea for anyone, for that matter. If you don't have the right coverages, they will decline to rent to you.

Here's some info I could locate online. (I may have missed some of the companies...this list is not intended to be an endorsement of a company, nor a complete list of companies in the area.)

" Insurance: is required. Drivers must be 25 years or older and have a valid driver’s license and proof of liability insurance, as well as a copy of the Insurance Itemized Declaration Page showing Comprehensive and Collision coverage and deductibles on a personal car. Most proof of insurance cards you are required to carry DO NOT show the type of coverage you carry. If reserving online, please email proof of Full Coverage Insurance 10 days prior to your arrival or at time of placing your reservation online. State Farm & American Family cards are the only insurance companies that state the requirements on their cards. So Please, it is your responsibility to bring the proper documents with you or email to us the information prior to your reservation.

coloradowestjeeps.com/ouray-jeep-rentals/

Drivers must be at least 25 years of age and provide a valid driver’s license and proof of comprehensive, collision and liability insurance with the minimum limits prescribed by Colorado law. A $500.00 damage deposit by is required with a credit card authorization or cash. Optional tire and windshield damage insurance is available. If you have a preference between a hardtop or softtop, please specify with your reservation. https:/…

ou must be 25 years of age and have a valid US driver’s license, proof of insurance, and a major card with you at the time of pickup. We do reserve the right to refuse service to anyone but hey, we want to see you have fun. We can sometimes make arrangements for foreign drivers to rent a Jeep but please try to call before you try. Insurance from Antartica is not generally acceptable. jeepouray.com/jeep-reservations/#toggle-id-2

http://canyoncreekjeep.com/faq

Which companies did you contact in Silverton? Neither of these mention requiring U.S. driver's license.

sanjuanbackcountry.com/silverton-durango-jee…

www.silversummitrvpark.com/jeep-faqs.html

https:/…

http://southwestraftandjeep.com/jeep-rentals/

https:/…

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,560 posts
178 reviews
9. Re: First timers... Jeep/ ATV rentals

If you can't rent a jeep you can always take some of the jeep tours. I recommend that anyway, especially for first time visitors to the area. A tour will give you a good idea of the driving and trail conditions you will face. Are you prepared to back up, up hill, on an off camber tilt on a narrow rough road next to a sheer drop off?

Reply to: First timers... Jeep/ ATV rentals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Silverton