We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Pagosa Springs mid-June

Which Pagosa Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in Pagosa Springs mid-June

We will be in the Pagosa Springs/South Fork area mid-June and are hoping to spend most of our time doing day hikes. We are hoping to hike in the Wolf Creek Pass area and have been wondering how likely we would have (relatively) snow free hiking there. We don't mind some snow and ice, but we're from North Carolina and don't own snowshoes!

We've also looked at driving up to the Creede area for a day and hiking there. Are there any day hikes along 149 before Creede or in the town itself? We've been looking at Rio Grande Reservoir Road area for hiking. Is that road likely to be suitable for a 2WD sedan? We'll be in a rental car.

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
409 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in Pagosa Springs mid-June

There will definitely be hiking options in mid-June. It will all depend on late spring weather as to what trails on the pass will be best in mid-June. If you want to check back closer to your arrival, I'll be able to tell you best options, after we see temps and progress of snow melt in May.

Will you be in Pagosa Springs? Fourmile trail to fourmile falls is great and should be snow-free in June. The Piedra River trail, along the river, is nice. Also, heading to the ice caves off of the Piedra River trail is a neat area. I also like hiking out of the Poison Park trailhead, off Piedra Road, near Williams Creek Reservoir.

Rio Grande Reservoir Area is nice on the South Fork side - lots of trails start from there. Forest service roads are well-maintained and should be fine in 2wd sedan. Check the rental contract to make sure you can drive on dirt roads - most of the roads in the area off of the highway are dirt.

Personally, I've got a bit of spring fever...temps in Pagosa have been in the 50s and 60s this week. But, more snow coming this weekend.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in Pagosa Springs mid-June

Yes, we will be in Pagosa Springs and are hoping to hike the Fourmile and Piedra River trails. We'll check out the Poison Park trailhead, too (what a name - like Death Canyon near Jackson, WY). Now we can continue with our trip planning - it's been about 80 here with high humidity. Spring fever for now. By June we will be ready for some cool, dry Colorado mountain air. Thanks for your help - I may check back in May.

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
409 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in Pagosa Springs mid-June

Opal Lake (off of Blanco Basin Rd from Hwy 84) is another great hike that will be snow free by mid June. It's only a mile or so to the lake, but many trails in the area. Hike takes you through huge aspen grove. The lake is a great picnic spot.

If you hike the Piedra River trail, make sure you detour to the Ice Caves. They are underground and very cool.

Trail # 592 starts at the Poison Park TH. This is a popular trail with horses, but the views are amazing within a short distance. Unlimited trails in the area, really. Cimarrona Trail is also a great - provides nice views of Williams Creek Res from a few vantage points. Tons of wildflowers too - although spring temps will determine how quickly they start popping up.

Trails Illustrated maps #140, 142 and 145 will give you most of the trails in the area.

I am very familiar with North Carolina and the humidity. I'm a NC State alum. (And, rather pleased right now with the NCAA tournament!!)

4. Re: Hiking in Pagosa Springs mid-June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 16:41
Get answers to your questions about Pagosa Springs