We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visiting Pagosa Springs

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
First time visiting Pagosa Springs

Traveling from southern Cali to Colorado for first time ever for a last minute vacay before grandkids return to school. Gonna stay in Pagosa Springs at our timeshare. Driving a 2017 Outback AWD and never driven this vehicle in snow/winter conditions. Any advice? Perhaps on best safest route, what to pack or bring just in case, where to stop? Or should we just cancel our adventure and stay in cali? Lol

1 reply
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,895 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visiting Pagosa Springs

Welcome to the forum. Your vehicle is just fine - a trusted all season vehicle. But what do you have for tires? If you have standard summer or all season tires, I would rethink it at this time of year. Colorado actually has a traction law that requires you to have at least M+S (mud and snow) tires to be on the roadway during winter driving conditions, which is pretty much most of the time in that region.

Your route getting there is of little issue. I would take I-40 to Gallup then up through Farmington to Durango. It would be really rare for your to have any issue up to Durango. But between Durango and Pagosa you could have challenges.

If you want to roll the dice, just watch weather patterns for snow in the region. Get the CoTrip app that will give you warnings of Traction Law conditions. Probably worth taking the risk if the long range forecast is decent. You don't say exactly when you're going. But looking at the Pagosa forecast for next week, a pretty decent amount of snow is forecast for Saturday through next Wednesday.

Good luck.

Reply to: First time visiting Pagosa Springs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted