We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Ouray???

Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Ouray???

I would like your opinions as where to stay. I will be in the area for a week. I do not want to stay in Telluride because of the crowds. I am debating between Ouray and Montrose. I am renting a jeep and plan on seeing the sights between Montrose and Silverton. I will be flying out of Montrose. Thanks!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Ouray???

Ouray is more scenic, but smaller. However, it has some good motel lodgings and some decent places to eat. Besides, some of thne motels have their own hot springs where you can soak. From Ouray to Montrose (and the airpor)t, it is fairly straight shot.

In Montrose, the Hampton Inn is right next to the airport.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,509 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Ouray???

What crowds are you referring to?? Telluride is quite small and really not crowded. If there is a big festival going on, then there are more people in town, but not "crowds" by most peoples standards.

Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Ouray???

The film festival is the weekend I am in the area. I live in a an area that has lots of tourists in summer and don't mind quite.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,509 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Ouray???

You are right film festival is a zoo.

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Ouray???

Ouray has 13 hotels, 13 B&Bs... there are many options in many different price ranges.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,382 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Ouray???

When is the film festival in Telluride? Is it Labor Day weekend? We will be in Ouray for the weekend and were thinking about driving over to Telluride for part of a day. If Telluride is a "zoo" that weekend then we may change our plans.

Thanks

PS. Khatter- sorry to break in on your trip question!!!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Ouray???

visittelluride.com/festivals-events/calendar…

Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in Ouray???

Thank you all for your advice! I think Ouray sounds like a beautiful place to stay.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
77 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay in Ouray???

Check out the Black Bear Inn and China Clipper B&Bs. Both are quite nice!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay in Ouray???

I have flown into Montrose and have driven from Montrose through Ouray and into Silverton. Awesome drive. I always stop at the hot springs in Ouray before continuing on into Silverton. I have never stayed in Ouray, but have stayed in Silverton. The Prospector is my favorite. Inepensive, clean and quiet.

Get answers to your questions about Ouray