We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Pikes Peak

Temecula, California
1 post
Day trip to Pikes Peak

We are staying in Breckenridge for a week in mid November with a 16 mos old. We would like to take a trip out to Pikes Peak and ride the cog train up. Would there be enough time to head over to the Garden of the Gods as well or am I stretching the day too much?

Any other good day trips we should consider taking? I thought about Glenwoods Springs to tour the cavern but I will be 17 weeks pregnant and their website recommends you not do the tour while pregnant. Would it be worth it to go w/out being able to do the cavern? And is the tour really that strenuous? Seems like if I can hike it shouldn't be a problem, but I don't know.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
750 posts
143 reviews
1. Re: Day trip to Pikes Peak

You could certainly do both in one day, but it will be a long day to be sure! Check the weather report as well. We made that day trip once the week before Thanksgiving. As soon as we hit the front range on the way home, it started dumping snow on us with about 13 inches falling overnight. Made for a slightly hairy drive in the rental car until we lucked upon a plow to follow.

Garden of the Gods can be fairly easy. There are relatively level paths that can take you around some of the more notable formations. Of course, you can make it as rugged as you'd prefer.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
13,110 posts
140 reviews
2. Re: Day trip to Pikes Peak

You need to consult your physician about traveling to high altitude while pregnant. If you do a search on the Colorado forum of pregnant and altitude, you will see many comments where doctors said no to high altitude trips for pregnant women visiting from sea level.

You also need to be familiar with altitude sickness in young children. See reply #1 at this recent post regarding this topic.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143048-i3489-k558…

Most people have no serious problems with altitude but you need to be aware and again consult your doctor since you are pregnant.

Here is a recent post from jld1975 who is a Boulder, Colorado resident.

"I would, however, suggest that your pregnant traveller check with her OB regarding altitude. Pregnant women are generally advised not to go over 8000 feet for extended periods, and not over 10000 feet at all. I would especially be careful about where you are spending the night, and try to make sure that is under 8000 feet, or she will likely find herself quite out of breath. I live at 5300 feet and ignored this advice and spent the night in Telluride when I was about 8 months pregnant, and was lightheaded and dizzy just sitting, and had a very difficult time with even small amounts of walking."

3. Re: Day trip to Pikes Peak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 15:18
Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge