We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packages or vrbo?

Zionsville, Indiana
Level Contributor
73 posts
8 reviews
Packages or vrbo?

Planning a ski trip to Breckenridge. Saw on the forums that a good place to book your trip is through www.snow.com or book the condo through vrbo. Used vrbo in the past for other trips with good luck although snow.com quote the lift tickets too. Here's what I need and trying to figure out the best way to book it.

Condo for 4 (2 adults and 2 teens).

Want ski in/out or close to lifts (don't plan to have car and hate taking shuttle with skis to lifts)

Need to rent equipment and book lessons

Am I better off to do all this separately? Looks like only $10ish more for lift tickets on top of group lessons. or is it better to book all inclusive with a site like snow.com??

Advice needed--just spent 4 hours researching condos and getting cross-eyed!!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Packages or vrbo?

I am sure you have a budget in mind. Call instead of using www.Snow.com , tell them what you just wrote. They are always changing specials, deals, etc. I think having the snow.com quote as your base and then looking around at vrbo options to compare is a good route to start out.

I usually recommend www.BlueRiverSports.com for rentals.

Click on MattEilers avatar (Destination Expert) on the right side of this screen, and read some of his contributions. He is always posting lodging information about ski/ski out (probably should make them top questions). He is a great lodging resource, as I live here I don't really know what many look like inside - and he is a local Realtor.

Colorado
Level Contributor
391 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: Packages or vrbo?

The only thing that I will say positive about VRBO (or other local property management/rental firms) versus snow.com when it comes to logding is knowing what you are getting.

With VRBO and other management companies you typically get to look at the exact units available for rental, their ammenities, location and even reviews. With snow.com, it is often a lottery when you show up of where you will be, which unit/building you are in, and how that unit is fixed up. Remember most condos that are rented, even by snow.com, are individually owned so there can be big differences in units even in the same building.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
3. Re: Packages or vrbo?

the flip side of VRBO . . .

"Vacation rental owners often do not live near their properties, making it difficult for them to regularly inspect the condition of their vacation rental or to facilitate a guest check in and key exchange. And if a problem arises during your stay, the vacation rental owner likely will not be on hand to help."

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Packages or vrbo?

Yes, but in our area almost all of the properties have property mangers for the out of town owners.

On the flip side - with snow.com if you do not like the unit you can ask to be moved.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Packages or vrbo?

Could also depend on how long you are staying.

With VRBO (since it is by owners) there is often a housekeeping charge thrown in. This may put the total price equal to or greater than going through a bigger resort style place that would rather get people into the rooms rather than letting them sit empty (as they will be paying their staff regardless if someone is there or not).

I would start with a place like snow.com or call

Village At Breckenridge which is owned by Vail Resorts (which owns Breck Ski area). So, they at times can be very competitive with lodging + ski rentals/tickets vs doing everything on your own.

Once you have a price from Snow.com & Village @ Breck, then hit a couple of VRBO's to see how the prices compare.

If you are looking for walk to the lifts, look at

Beaver Run (another larger resort which may offer lift tickets/rental package)

Trails End

Cedars

One Breckenridge Place

Der Stieirmark

Park Avenue Lofts

MountainWood

PowderHorn

SnodDallion

Some others, but this will give you a start. If you come across a VRBO rental and would like to know about the complex, let me know as I know most places in Breck.

Matt

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,836 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Packages or vrbo?

I think it comes down to what is most important to you. I did the same thing just this week, looking for a place in Winter Park. I found a condo on craigslist for much less than though the resort. Even with the "free" lift tickets included. Much less. Yes it took time but I am on a budget.

If the $$ is not that important that certainly it is easier to let someone else handle the reservations.

I have rented from owners many times. It is almost always what I do. I have never experience any troubles at all. In Keystone I know a number of owners that rent condos themselves, some rent themselves and use a service. Whoever books the unit first. Owners will have the lower price. Most owners will have a back up emergency plan for repairs. In Summit County it is easy to get someone out to fix things even if you are out of state, they are quite used to it. Some will contract with a management company for things like repairs, keys, check in/out.

Certainly it is not for everyone, but there are tons of people that rent out direct, you rarely hear of bad things, no more so than with booking through snow.com

A positive as DaveColorado said is that with some of the smaller agencies and owner direct is that you get to see the actual condo you are booking, booking though the resorts can be hit or miss. I guess + and - to both.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
7. Re: Packages or vrbo?

another vrbo caveat . .

beware of vrbo owners who require a security deposit. Some will take their sweet time cutting you a check and then may ding you for inconsequential items that either they or the prop mgt person feels you're responsible for. If deposit is necessary videotape before and after to cover yourself.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,836 posts
65 reviews
8. Re: Packages or vrbo?

I have never had that happen, Lu2Ski, have you?

9. Re: Packages or vrbo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 January 2010, 04:05
Edited: 10 January 2010, 04:05
Houston
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
10. Re: Packages or vrbo?

I agree with alli, I've never had that happen from a VRBO owner regarding a security deposit. If you are finicky about your lodging, I also recommend VRBO as you get to see what you're getting. We've rented exclusively from owners on that site for the last 2 years in Vail, Taos, Angel Fire, Keystone, and Puerto Vallarta. Not once have we had issues and every time we've had owners willing to do whatever they can to make our stay better. If we ask if they have a certain item we need, they've all offered to go out and buy it. In fact, one owner went out and purchased a brand new grill so we could grill while we were there!

I just wanted to throw our 2 cents in that we've had nothing but very positive experiences with VRBO and the owners are always cheaper than any package I've researched. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge