We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestion on car rental and Chain and Traction Law

Chennai (Madras...
5 posts
Need suggestion on car rental and Chain and Traction Law

Hi Guys,

My wife and I are visiting Breckenridge from 15th Nov (Thursday) till 17th Nov (Saturday). And we will be a renting Hertz car for our commute from Denver airport to Breckenridge. A weather check for these dates indicates no snowfall. So will the 'Chain and Traction Law' be effective on these days if there is no snowfall?

And is renting cars on our own a good option for the trip? Also please suggest some non ski activities and places.

Any tips are appreciated. Thank you so much!

11 replies to this topic
Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
1. Re: Need suggestion on car rental and Chain and Traction Law

Too far out to know. And where did you check. Can be clear in denver and snowy on the pass as it is at 11k. If there are dry roads no traction law. If it snows there will be. Twice i have gone over while it was snowing so far and they were checking. You need to be prepared. Weather forecasts arent much good more than a couple days out and check the whole route. Cotrip.org gives conditions and has road cams.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Need suggestion on car rental and Chain and Traction Law

Chains apply to commercial vehicles like semi trucks, it will void your rental contract if you put chains on it and frankly if you need chains you don't want to be on the road. The traction law requires that you have tires with the M+S designation on the sidewall of the tire, check carefully for that when you pick up your car and don't leave the lot without them. It does currently look like we have a dry spell coming up, but weather changes here very quickly and you don't want to find yourself unprepared.

You can snowshoe, shop, go to a spa, aprés on the mountain, visit Frisco, shop the outlet stores in Silverthorne, enjoy some good food.

Chennai (Madras...
5 posts
3. Re: Need suggestion on car rental and Chain and Traction Law

Thank you for the reply. Can you please let us know if Hertz or Enterprise provide cars with the M+S designation tires. Also will 'All weather' tires apply to the law for the roads between Denver and Breckenridge?

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
4. Re: Need suggestion on car rental and Chain and Traction Law

If it snows you need m&s designated tires. Check with Hertz. Check yourself when you pick up the car it will say it in the sidewall of the tire. If its not there ask for another car with it. To get from denver to Breckenridge you go over a high mountain pass at the Eisenhower tunnel. If its snowing you will need at least m&s rated tires.

Chennai (Madras...
5 posts
5. Re: Need suggestion on car rental and Chain and Traction Law

Thanks for the reply. i checked the forecast at weather.com. Yes as suggested , I will keep an eye on it before our trip. I'm just wondering if the rental car companies provide M + S tires in Denver Airport

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
6. Re: Need suggestion on car rental and Chain and Traction Law

They usually do. But check. Sometimes a car is left there on a one way drop from a warmer city.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Need suggestion on car rental and Chain and Traction Law

Hertz is a good company and should have M+S tires but it is your responsibility to check and be safe.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
21,098 posts
451 reviews
8. Re: Need suggestion on car rental and Chain and Traction Law

A couple points on this. First of all, you don't need to look at the weather. You should never go up into the mountains in winter without at least M+S tires. You just never know what will happen with the weather so never chance it. I did a few years ago and ended up having to leave the car in Summit County. Secondly, you really can't manage this well in advance. Hertz will have cars with proper tires. But you'll have to take on the oversight of that when you are on the lot. Demand a car with proper winter tires. Check it yourself to be sure before you pull out of the lot.

Have fun.

Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
9. Re: Need suggestion on car rental and Chain and Traction Law

FYI, M+S tires are not dedicated snow tires. I believe nearly any tire sold as an "all season" tire will be M+S, so as others have mentioned rental cars *should* have them, but it's certainly worth checking.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,607 posts
269 reviews
10. Re: Need suggestion on car rental and Chain and Traction Law

Just for clarification, the chain law also applies to non-commercial vehicles (passenger cars). If the chain law is in effect I just stay off of the road. It's not worth it to drive in those conditions, imho.

Here's the info on the whole deal for passenger cars - https:/…TractionLaw

The tires also need to have adequate tread. It does no good to have bald (smooth) tires.

Reply to: Need suggestion on car rental and Chain and Traction Law
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge