We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Itinerary

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
24 reviews
Trip Itinerary

Our family of four (kids 4&2) will be traveling to Colorado for the first time in late June.

Here's our tentative itinerary:

Fly into Denver, immediately drive to Colorado Springs.

Spend 4 nights in Colorado Springs doing the following:

Garden of the Gods

Pikes Peak Railway

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo

Santa's Workshop

Drive to Breckenridge for remaining 3 nights.

Hike, ride gondola, enjoy town

Here are my questions:

Will we likely avoid altitude sickness with a couple days in CO Springs first, assuming we don't do the Pikes Peak railway the first couple days.

Is there an area recommended to stay in CO Springs? I was looking at Manitou Springs since it was closer to what we want to do.

What Breckenridge Condo complexes do you recommend for a family of 4 with young kids? Would it be better to be close to Main St or on one of the mountains?

Any recommended rafting companies that allow young kids? Which town do they leave out of- Breck or CO Springs?

Any horse back riding tour recommendations? Again, which town?

Anything I'm forgetting that little ones (or grown ups) love? Is Santa's workshop worth it or overrated?

Does 4 days in CO Springs and 3 days in Breck seem like a good split?

Leon, Ks
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
1. Re: Trip Itinerary

In the summertime I think you would be better off close to main Street. Our favorite place to stay in both the winter and summer is Pine Ridge. Its about a block away from downtown Breck and an easy walk.

http://www.pineridge.com/

Edited: 21 March 2017, 22:32
Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Trip Itinerary

I would stay closer to Main st during the summer months. Guessing a place with access to a pool for you/kids.

I would start out on VRBO or Flipkey and see what prices are. If you have questions on condo complexes based off of what your finding, feel free to PM me.

Altitude sickness: yes, better off heading to C. Springs 1st vs Breck 1st then C. Springs.

Although I would flip your number of nights. C. Springs is ok, but it is a city at the base of the mountains...not in the mountains. Plus, if you are going to do rafting, that is an entire day away from Breck.

Rafting company: try Performance Tours. You will most likely end up going to Buena Vista to raft.

You could look into 3 nights in C. Springs, up to Buena Vista for the night, morning 1/2 day raft trip, and then go hit the hot springs and/or see St. Elmo ghost town in the afternoon....then onward to Breck for last 3 nights. I would recommend morning trip in case and an afternoon thunderstorm rolls in.

Places to stay in C. Springs: Manitou is probably the best for a visitor.

Matt

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,657 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: Trip Itinerary

Agree with Matt that 4 days in Colorado Springs is too much. I'd think about time on Lake Dillon while in Breckenridge.

townoffrisco.com/play/…

There is always free concerts going on someplace in the county. Kids love playing by the river.

1fourfun put this list together a few years ago but it still has good information

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927…

4. Re: Trip Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2018, 16:17