We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just moved

Whittier, CA
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Just moved

Just moved to Whittier and wondered about good restaurants, hair salons,parks, etc. in the area. I really like the Uptown area for restaurants and have heard good things about Artika Hair and Spa. Parks in Whittier don't seem to allow pets, so I have to go to La Mirada. Any off the beaten path fun things to do?

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
699 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just moved

Howdy neighbor!

I've been a Whittier resident for most of my life so welcome!

If you like Italian food, there are some really good ones on Whittier Blvd. between Colima and Beach Blvd. in La Habra. There is one in particular that I especially like, but I can't think of the name right now. :-( It's next to a Thai restaurant in a tiny strip mall and near the corner of Valley Home.

A restaurant in Uptown Whittier that I strongly recommend if you like Southeast Asian food or if you're curious about that food is Golden Triangle restaurant on Greenleaf just south of Philadelphia St. They have coconut rice to die for! and the battered corn is also tasty. As a vegetarian, I limit myself to the vegetarian selections and can't recommend meat of fish dishes. But I really like the Tofu Delight and the Thai Pudding for dessert is filling and very unique. Their ice creams are great in hot weather (the mango flavor is my favorite!).

The Crepes and Grapes restaurant on the corner of Greenleaf and Bailey in Uptown Whittier is excellent as well.

There is a very popular Farmers Market every Wednesday night in Uptown Whittier (on Greenleaf) as well.

Mentioned in this post
Golden Triangle
Golden Triangle
59 Reviews
Beverly Hills, CA
Whittier, CA
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just moved

Thanks for the advice. I have tried one Italian restaurant, Lascaris. But I agree that the Golden Triangle is the best! The hardest part about moving is trying to find medical care -- a new dentist, optometrist, general practitioner, etc. Any good ones you are aware of? You have any recommendations for a place to get my hair cut? Artika is a little expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Golden Triangle
Golden Triangle
59 Reviews
Beverly Hills, CA
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
699 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just moved

Hi da bomb,

Sorry about the delay in this email--I've been very busy this week!

The barber I use is Costcutters at 13502-C Whittier Blvd. (at Painter in the shopping center about 5 stores south of the new Philly's Cheesesteak eatery. Don't be fooled by the name, they do a great job with my hair (I am very picky about my hair and have not returned to other places so that's not easy) and they are very friendly and talkative as well.

I have Kaiser for my Medical care so I can't vouch for the local private doctors although I think Presybeterian Hospital (on the corner of Washington Blvd. and Lambert Rd.) is good. I took my mother (she's since passed away) there once in an emergency and they seemed to have all the latest equipment and seemed to care for her well.

For a place to take your dog, I think Murphy Ranch Park in the Friendly Hills neigborhood of Whittier allows dogs. It is a rustic park, more of a hiking area really with a few picnic tables by the parking lot. It is located at the east end of Youngwood Dr. at Las Cumbres Dr.

Mentioned in this post
Friendly Hills Inn
Friendly Hills Inn
185 Reviews
Whittier, CA
whittier
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just moved

Just wanted to comment on Artika, for 35. you get shampoo, cut. style, finish and one of their miniture spa experiences. Im not sure of your budget but that does'nt sound expensive at all. I know on Tuesday they even have intern haircuts for 15. I'm not picky so I have one of there interns, Lina cut my hair.

whittier
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just moved

Just wanted to comment on Artika, for 35. you get shampoo, cut. style, finish and one of their miniture spa experiences. Im not sure of your budget but that does'nt sound expensive at all. I know on Tuesday they even have intern haircuts for 15. I'm not picky so I have one of there interns, Lina cut my hair.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
699 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just moved

Hi toobie,

Excellent posts and welcome to the forum, neighbor! :-)

Whittier, CA
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just moved

Kind67, I took your advice and tried Cost Cutters. Belinda cut my hair and did a great job. The price was excellent. You are right -- they are very friendly and talkative!

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
699 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just moved

Hi da_bomb,

I'm so glad that Costcutters worked for you. If you have any more questions feel free to post again and I will try to answer them (if I can!).

Get answers to your questions about Whittier