We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear while wine tasting?

Shawnee
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
What to wear while wine tasting?

My wife and I are new to the wine tasting scene, and we'll be touring Sonoma for the first time in mid-October.

What is the suggested attire while you're out visiting wineries? Is it dress casual? Jeans and a nice shirt?

We just don't want to be out of place, but also not over dressed.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
1,280 reviews
2,445 helpful votes
1. Re: What to wear while wine tasting?

Jeans and the nice shirt will be absolutely just fine. Wear comfortable shoes, you might do a lot of walking at some places.

Level Contributor
40,354 posts
1,034 reviews
1,819 helpful votes
2. Re: What to wear while wine tasting?

Business casual works well in the wine country. This attire is also acceptable for the majority of the restaurants in the area. I hope you have a nice trip and let us know if you would like dining recs, where are you staying? :)

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
6,503 posts
57 reviews
43 helpful votes
3. Re: What to wear while wine tasting?

At least in southern California and the central coast, I would consider "business casual" fine but definitely not necessary. This is California. Casual rules! (I like to wear a shirt that reads "Will Run for Wine" but that's optional as well!)

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
231 helpful votes
4. Re: What to wear while wine tasting?

I like to wear something red, myself.

Shawnee
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: What to wear while wine tasting?

Thanks for all the help everybody. It's kind of what I assumed would be the case, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't going too far or too short. October 21 can't get here fast enough!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
36 helpful votes
6. Re: What to wear while wine tasting?

If it's a warm day, you can get away with shorts as well. Wine tasting is pretty casual.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
6,503 posts
57 reviews
43 helpful votes
7. Re: What to wear while wine tasting?

mlgb, my "run for wine" shirt IS red! :-)

You know how to tell if you drink too much wine? You buy "Wine Away" in the quart-sized bottle!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
231 helpful votes
8. Re: What to wear while wine tasting?

And when you have a wardrobe of shirts that match!

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,881 posts
88 reviews
218 helpful votes
9. Re: What to wear while wine tasting?

For wine tasting even at special events you'll see people dressed in every manner, so wear what you'll be comfortable in--but not slippery soled footwear or high heels (you would be surprised how many "city gals" wear those things out here!!) If you'll be taking a tour that involves walking out into the vineyard, shoes not sandals are best, and wine caves are cool (a bit under 60 degress) so bring at least at least a long-sleeve shirt or light jacket/sweater.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,842 posts
1,115 reviews
2,825 helpful votes
10. Re: What to wear while wine tasting?

>> If it's a warm day, you can get away with shorts as well. Wine tasting is pretty casual. <<

Should those be "business casual" shorts, suzie-travels?

LOL, I'm thinking the UPS guy would fit in nicely ;-)