We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help With August Trop to Bolmgren Ranch

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Need Help With August Trop to Bolmgren Ranch

We've been invited to a wedding in August at the Bolmgren Ranch, and it will be our first time in California. My husband is taking the opportunity to fulfill some of his bucket list items, and has come up with a game plan that he thinks is workable. Bear in mind he's done this only by looking at MapQuest for distances, and I really would appreciate any feedback and/or suggestions from the real world! And because the bride wasn't expecting anyone from Ohio to actually come to the wedding, they didn't make any suggestions or plans for hotels.

His thought is to fly into LAX, rent a car, and drive to Santa Clarita, visit the Reagan Library either before or after wedding, drive up the Pacific Coast highway to San Francisco ( I have relatives there, but that's just an excuse for him to drive it), maybe stop in Carmel and or San Simeon (both of these were suggested to us), and then fly home. We have no time frame at this both, we're both retired and outside of the wedding, nothing is written in stone, time wise.

So I have a lot of questions. Does this sound like a feasible plan? How long is the actual drive from LAX to Santa Clarita (apparently MapQuest says it's 50 minutes)? Is the Reagan Library really that close? Does anyone have recommendations for a hotel in Santa Clarita?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated before we get too far into this! Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Need Help With August Trop to Bolmgren Ranch

Sorry for my typos - I did mean the Blomgren Ranch

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Need Help With August Trop to Bolmgren Ranch

Your plan sounds very enjoyable and feasible. The time your plane arrives, retrieve your luggage and get a rental car, may make your drive time longer than 50 minutes in the afternoon. As for hotels, there is a Travelodge and a Super 8 near the Ranch. It looks clean etc., but this area is Canyon Country, and dry and

dusty and in August it will be very warm (hot). Vasquez Rocks State Park is nearby, and worth seeing.

My preference for hotels are Stevenson Ranch area (Santa Clarita) - off the I-5 and Lyons Avenue. Addresses are on "The Old Road". Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, La Quinta, Comfort Suites and Hampton Inn. There are more hotels near Magic Mountain - Best Western, Holiday Inn, Embassy Suites and Hilton. These are off I-5, near hwy 128 -- which you may use when going towards the coast. (Nice road/scenery) Check with hotels re nearby restaurants (both areas have a Denny's).

By all means, do try to visit the Reagan Presidential Library. It will take about 45 minutes drive time, check out Mapquest. Been there several times, very interesting, and will take a few hours. I don't think you will have time on the day of your arrival. If you have any questions, feel free to ask or send a private message.

Edited: 10 April 2016, 12:36
Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Need Help With August Trop to Bolmgren Ranch

The highway number to the coast is incorrect -- It is 126.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,543 posts
79 reviews
4. Re: Need Help With August Trop to Bolmgren Ranch

>>drive up the Pacific Coast highway to San Francisco ( I have relatives there, but that's just an excuse for him to drive it), maybe stop in Carmel and or San Simeon (both of these were suggested to us), and then fly home.<<

In August, you will need to have reservations wherever you want to spend the night(s) along this portion of the coast. It's recommended that you spend at least one night in the Cambria/Morro Bay/Pismo Beach area, and another (two or more is better) in the Monterey/Carmel/Pacific Grove area.

Reply to: Need Help With August Trop to Bolmgren Ranch
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Clarita
More Santa Clarita Topics