We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

two days in Santa Barbara...what to do?

Which Santa Barbara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
354 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
two days in Santa Barbara...what to do?

My hubbie and I, both in our 50's will be in Santa Barbara for two days. Looking for things to do and places to eat. (One night will be our aniv. dinner) We will be there the 9th and 10th of November and will be staying at the Harbor View Inn. Probably looking to relax, sightsee, shop, and eat. Maybe someplace fun one night. We will have spent the prior week in Napa and traveling down the coast. Our next 3 days in San Diego with crazy friends and football--need to rest up! Thanks for your help!

Level Contributor
34,242 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: two days in Santa Barbara...what to do?

Harbor View Inn is very nice! Stearn's Wharf is not to be missed, SB Shellfish is a great place to eat there! :).

Boston...
Level Contributor
354 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: two days in Santa Barbara...what to do?

will the beaches be warm enough to sit out in November?

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: two days in Santa Barbara...what to do?

I personally think anything on the Wharf is extremely pricey and not necessarily worth it IMHO. We eat out about once a week and these are some of our favorites:

Excellent Mexican food is Los Arroyos...very casual.

Jane's (a personal favorite of mine) is on upper State Street next to the Arlington Theater...quite good and not to expensive. The chicken picatta is to die for.

Olio E Limone on Victoria is excellent and expensive (but worth every penny!) as is Ca Dario (also located on Victoria Street a block away). Both of these are Italian restaurants.

Brophy Brothers in the boat harbor (not to be mistaken with the Wharf) is also good, but hard to get in to as it is very popular. Lots of atmosphere and quite loud.

Montecito Cafe in Montecito (at least the last time I ate there a few years ago) is also excellent

You don't mention the kind of food you are interested in so these are my best suggestions!

California
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: two days in Santa Barbara...what to do?

picnic at El Capitan.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: two days in Santa Barbara...what to do?

Our summers seem to be appearing later in the year, so November could very easily be nice weather. But hard to tell. The days can be nice, but the evenings are definitely chilly. Hope this helps!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,460 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: two days in Santa Barbara...what to do?

Santa Barbara weather in November runs mid to high 60's. Rain is possible, but not likely. It's too soon to tell at this point.

You might want to visit Solvang and the Santa Ynez/Los Olivos wine country, which is about 1/2 an hour to the north of SB.

In addition to Stearns Wharf, there's State Street shopping, a historical California mission and the SB Courthouse, which is actually a tourist draw.

Hopefully, the local gals will chime in with dining and additional rec options, but you might want to consider having your anniversary dinner at the Biltmore.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: two days in Santa Barbara...what to do?

Ah, yes, the Biltmore. Excellent choice for an anniversary.

If you come to Santa Barbara, 2 things you have to see as Kibblesmom mentioned is the Courthouse and the Mission. The first place I take anyone is the courthouse. When my daughter (born and raised) comes home to SB, she always goes to see the courthouse. It is just beautiful and we never get tired of it.

The mission also has some beautiful rose gardens across from it.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,913 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: two days in Santa Barbara...what to do?

The Natural History museum, next to the Mission, is great too (has a new butterfly enclosure).

Santa Barbara, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Barbara, Channel Islands National Park
Level Contributor
828 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: two days in Santa Barbara...what to do?

Dinner at the Biltmore is lovely - but you might also consider indulging in the Biltmore's Sunday Brunch. It is a little pricey but a wonderful treat.

Another options I love is Bouchon - wonderful food and a lovely atmosphere. It is a favorite. Downey's would be another pick for a special occasion.You would be in good hands at all three - Bouchon and Downey's do not have a full bar. If that is important, Holdren's is a good option and so is Jill's Place (Shalhoob's).

Here is a list of things to do I put together for a blog posting - sbadventureco.com/blog/…

Hope this information is helpful! Have a great trip.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: two days in Santa Barbara...what to do?

DO visit the courthouse. It may seem like a strange recommendation, but it is Spanish Colonial at its best and the historical murals are worth a study. This is quintessential Santa Barbara.

You will be charmed.

Edited: 05 October 2011, 14:20