We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest hotel/motel to Hillsdale Shopping Center

Melbourne
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Closest hotel/motel to Hillsdale Shopping Center

Hello,

Can anyone give me the names of one or two hotels/motels closest (within walking distance) to the Hillsdale Mall?

Also, can you please advise the approx. travelling time and cost in a taxi to San Francisco Airport?

Thanks in advance,

Tartia

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,226 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closest hotel/motel to Hillsdale Shopping Center

You have a very interesting question.

Please tell us why you feel you need to go the Hillsdale Shopping Center badly enough to stay in a hotel near there?

I am really intrigued by your questions. Hillsdale is just a run of the mill ho-hum shopping mall.

Also, even if your question if valid Hillsdale is a suburban shopping center and I doubt very much if there is a hotel within "walking distance".

But, I am willing to be corrected.

Give us more information please? (Like WHY?)

Mentioned in this post
Hillsdale Shopping Center
Hillsdale Shopping Center
67 Reviews
San Mateo, CA
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,359 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closest hotel/motel to Hillsdale Shopping Center

Like Puter, I'm also curious.

There are a few small motels along El Camino Real around tne San Mateo-Belmont boundary, but they aren't that close. They are old places from when El Camino Real was the main drag along the S.F. Peninsula, before the freeways. Like many older motels in areas no longer frequented by tourists, I'm dubious about how strongly I'd want to recommend such places.

You had a thread earlier about going to the Gilroy outlet stores. If you're thinking Hillsdale might be a substitute for those, don't bother.

If you want to take a day from your vacation in San Francisco, you could take CalTrain or a SamTrans bus to Hillsdale, spend a few hours, and return to the City the same day. But I guarantee you will not find anything at Hillsdale that isn't available in downtown San Francisco.

Mentioned in this post
San Mateo
San Mateo
California
Gilroy
Gilroy
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,359 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closest hotel/motel to Hillsdale Shopping Center

If you want to experience a shopping mall like Hillsdale (not a central city shopping area like downtown San Francisco), you could go to Stonestown. It's in the southern part of the City and you would take an M-Oceanview metro train (in the subway). This is a lot closer than Hillsdale, and it has some similar stores.

Honestly, unless you have a long-lost schoolmate in San Mateo, or someone is holding a pot of gold for you there, you don't want to spend the time to go there.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Mateo
San Mateo
California
Melbourne
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closest hotel/motel to Hillsdale Shopping Center

Hi All,

Whilst i really appreciate your feedback and concerns, i thought it was an easy question that wouldnt require an explanation as to details of my trip that would probably just bore you !!!!

This is at least my 5th trip to the San Francisco area, and on this trip i also plan to stay in San Francisco/Union Sq, Carmel and other areas (incl shoppping at Gilroy outlets). However, on my last day i will be dropped off by friends near the airport where i will have to kill 8 hours before my long flight back to Australia. The shops at Hillsdale Mall satisfy my requirements for last minute shopping, and i thought that it may be better to stay at a hotel close by rather than an airport hotel (going to try for a day use rate to have a shower before my flight) - that way i only have a one way taxi fare back to the airport that night.

Thanks again - i told you the details would bore you, i look forward to your replies.

PS. i am not interested in public transport.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Gilroy
Gilroy
California
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
10,794 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closest hotel/motel to Hillsdale Shopping Center

I listed a few motels near Hillsdale on the San Francisco thread, but if you just want to take a shower before you get on the plane, there are showers in the International Terminal at SFO. $11 at a place called Freshen Up.

(I remember the ones I used at the Sydney airport in the 90's were free.)

Mentioned in this post
6. Re: Closest hotel/motel to Hillsdale Shopping Center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2009, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about San Mateo