We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Week Road Trip from San Jose, CA, to Vancouver, BC

A N
San Jose, California
9 posts
Save Topic
1 Week Road Trip from San Jose, CA, to Vancouver, BC

Hello,

I'm taking my 12 year old son on a driving trip for spring break during the first week of April. We plan drive one way up on highway 1 until it merges to 101, and fly back to California afterwards. We plan to visit the giant redwood trees, the crater (?), Porland, Seattle, and Vancouver on the way.

Are there any particular attraction you'd recommend? Good hotel/lodging or B&B on the way? Good places to take pictures?

We're excited as we plan for this trip and would very much appreciate your help. I would love to hear from parents of my son's age who already did this.

Thanks,

Cheers,

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,216 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Week Road Trip from San Jose, CA, to Vancouver, BC

Since your trip covers many States and goes into Canada. It would be best to post it in the Road trips forum. tell the folks there your travel style. what do you want to do and see enroute and if possible layout a draft itinerary -- There is so much to do and see. You could go and spend a day in Mendocino or a couple of days in the Avenue of the Giants and in the Redwood National parks and then so much more to cover in those other states. So if you come up with a plan and then have them tweak it that would be good

We've done the route to the CA border and back but we've flown to Portland and done that part and flown to Seattle and done the same. Each of these areas -- one can take a week. If all you have is one week, that is a lot to cover so you have to pick and chose what you want to do and see

Edited: 20 March 2013, 08:57
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Week Road Trip from San Jose, CA, to Vancouver, BC

We took a road trip down from Seattle to San Jose last year. Drove from Seattle to Astoria, OR and started our journey down Hwy 101 from there. Astoria, like many other small towns on Oregon coast is beautiful. There is a small film museum in Astoria which was fun. It is a quaint little town. There was a lot of fog when we drove down (April), we the fog added to the magical beauty. From Astoria we drove down to Cannon Beach. The Haystack rock is pretty and you could take some nice pictures there. The Oregon coast is a beautiful drive because there is water on one side and forest on the other. Tillamook cheese factory was not as good as we expected. The cheese and ice creams were nothing out of the ordinary. We spent a day at Depoe Bay whale watching. Apparently April is a good time to see up-migrating whales, although we were not very lucky and could only spot sea lions. One of the most spectacular things we came across on the Oregon coast was the Sand Dunes recreational area. Dunebuggy ride is a must do.

As we entered California, we moved off the coast due to time shortage, but we did visit a few wineries on our way. Overall I think the Oregon coast is a beautiful drive.

3. Re: 1 Week Road Trip from San Jose, CA, to Vancouver, BC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2014, 15:19