We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What things is very cheapest in pleasanton ?

ireland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
What things is very cheapest in pleasanton ?

What things is very cheapest in pleasanton ? toys is cheap or not?what would buy the cheapest pleasanton?

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What things is very cheapest in pleasanton ?

Do you have Pleasanton confused with another location?

Pleasanton is a massive sprawling sleepy bedroom community on the perimeter of the SF Bay Area. It's next to Livermore where nuclear weapons work happens. The homes in Pleasanton are relatively more cheap than homes more central in the SF Bay Area, but with longer commute times. Hotel rooms are cheaper too, but because they're so much farther than most points of interest than hotels in more central locations.

I'm not aware of any special shopping situations in Pleasanton, California.

Compared to Ireland or anywhere else in Europe, I imagine many things are quite cheap otherwise--the usual shoes, clothes, etc.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What things is very cheapest in pleasanton ?

Well, it does indeed look like you're heading to the Pleasanton-Dublin-Walnut Creek, SF Bay Area locations.

That area has been growing so much recently, that my knowledge on shopping there could be very out of date. For inexpensive things, a hypermarche offspring of Carrefour is available in the area: Walmart. Target is another variation on that theme.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,531 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What things is very cheapest in pleasanton ?

On a different thread, Prethi says he/she (I'm sorry, Prethi, I don't know if you are male or female, but you did mention having a 2 year old child) will be visiting in Pleasanton and Walnut Creek and staying at the Pleasanton Hilton. There is such a hotel. So it looks like this is for real, not mistaken identity.

Prethi, there are shopping centers of all kinds in Walnut Creek, Concord, and other nearby towns. They have stores like Ross, Marshall's, and similar ones that sell overstock, out-of-season, or irregular goods from more expensive stores, but I don't know if there are whole neighborhoods or centers of discount stores. San Francisco has lots of those; it is about 40 minutes away by BART (light rail train).

Why don't you give us an idea what sort of merchandise you are interested in and maybe local residents can help. If you are visiting family or friends, maybe they can give you suggestions as well.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,531 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What things is very cheapest in pleasanton ?

Now I'm confusing myself!

I think it's because Prethi mentioned Pleasanton in the same sentence with Walnut Creek.

Prethi, there are two towns of similar names in the East Bay across from San Francisco. PLEASANTON where you say you are staying in the Hilton, is nearer to Dublin and Livermore. PLEASANT HILL is the town closer to Walnut Creek and Concord. Both of these are suburban areas with shopping centers. Both are served by Bay Area Rapid Transit.

Neither one of them is a big tourist attraction, unless you are interested in seeing American suburbs with acre after acre of identical houses, rows of auto dealers and fast food places, and traffic backed up for miles trying to get on the freeway to go to work in Oakland or S.F.

No. California
Level Contributor
448 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What things is very cheapest in pleasanton ?

Pethi- I live very near to Pleasanton and Walnut Creek. Pleasanton has an interesting downtown area. Some of the bldgs are original and although nothing like I've seen in Ireland where real charm and old bldgs add to the atmosphere. There still is a remenent Main Street. Pleasanton Main St is about all that is left of this old stage and then railroad town's roots. The Hilton itself is on the corner of two main highways but is not walking distance to stores. There is a large shopping center across the freeway call Stoneridge. Having shopped in Ireland the prices here are less but not signifcantly. A sale is a sale. Our taxes are lower and the Euro is strong against the dollar so you'll get deals on that alone.

Toys r Us is the large toy store chain and there is one in Dublin. Dublin California is next door to Pleasanton. From the Hilton the nearest Toys r Us is 2 miles or so away.

There are some discount stores in Pleasanton. Just off Hacienda is Hacienda Crossings ( I believe that is the name ) It has discount clothing, shoe store, outdoor goods, home goods, restaurants and children stores.

Walnut has a very large outdoor shopping area. When the weather is nice it is a good place to shop but sales are not deeply discounted. They just opened up an H&M in Walnut Creek but it carries a different assortment than I've seen in Europe. But the prices are low for the younger fashions.

Pleasanton, ca
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What things is very cheapest in pleasanton ?

Not in Pleasanton, but in near by Walnut Creek (usually 35 mins by car if no rush hour) is a very cheap model train exhibit place. Its usually $3 per adult, $2 per child. And its not open that often so check the website for hours. The model train setup fills a large room, it's a lot of fun to look at, and they sell refreshments. We often bring young visiting family members to this place as their members (which are all volunteers) are really nice and it’s cheap and fun. And its a large extremely detailed layout, you can tell its really a labor of love. It's also right near the park, with 1 or 2 playgrounds if the kids need to work off some energy.

See this link for more information

http://www.wcmrs.org/

Pleasanton, ca
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What things is very cheapest in pleasanton ?

I recommend this site too:

http://www.bayareakidfun.com

Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What things is very cheapest in pleasanton ?

What world are you all IN? NOTHING is cheap in Pleasanton or the Bay area since 1960.....best advice I have is to move elsewhere...

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,531 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What things is very cheapest in pleasanton ?

* "What world are you all IN?" *

Well, at least, WE live in CALIFORNIA.

:)

10. Re: What things is very cheapest in pleasanton ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about Pleasanton