We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is this place such a s***hole?

1 post
Save Topic
Why is this place such a s***hole?

I have recently been traveling through Palmdale twice weekly, for a total of 10 visits so far, and I have never experienced so many bad / frustrating / unimpressive situation in any place in the world in such a brief period. Everywhere I've been, restrooms are locked up and need a token or quarter or key to open, and even when I do, they are absolute PITS. What the hell is going on in restrooms in Palmdale that isn't a problem anywhere else I visit? A few places (both gas stations) that I would EXPECT to have rest rooms didn't have them at all, and I just got a rude response even asking for one, even though I had just filled my car with gas.

At gas stations, restaurants, and one store, I had numerous problems using my credit card, even though it works fine everywhere else, whether I swipe the strip or use the chip. Are merchants just trying to avoid the credit card fee and force people to pay cash? Or is this burg just so technology challenged that they have yet to master the credit card?

But the biggest, unavoidable pain in the neck is the gratuitous number of traffic lights. On Route 138, from the South end up to Route 14, there are 30 (!!!) traffic light and one "roundabout." This is for a pimple-on-LA's-butt little hick town of 150K people. Even with very light traffic, which is typically the case when I pass through, it takes forever to negotiate a plethora of totally unnecessary red lights. This route, BTW, passes through basically 20 miles of unattractive "strip mall" territory, without a single business or other feature that I would stop for but out of necessity.

Based on experience to date, I do my best to make sure my belly and gas tank are full, and my bladder empty, before I leave San Bernadino headed North or Grapevine headed South, just to be sure I don't actually have to set foot in this miserable backwater. Sadly, this could be a convenient spot to stop, but that's exactly how I accumulated these many bad experiences, and I won't repeat the mistake again.

1 reply
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is this place such a s***hole?

Are you looking for sympathy or do you have some sort of concern about Palmdale?

Reply to: Why is this place such a s***hole?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Palmdale